Sign in to follow this  

Tools...

Which tools/parts do you always take with you when trail riding?

Thanks.

8,10,12mm wrench, multi bit screwdriver, twist wire, zip ties, allen keys...thats about it for me.

Pretty much what dirk said plus [don't leave home without it] VISE GRIPS and also a lighter [for making signal or warming fire, not smoking crack lol]. Vise grips are the ONE tool you should always bring because they can sub as a brake/shift pedal if you snap one off:thumbsup:

Pretty much what dirk said plus [don't leave home without it] VISE GRIPS and also a lighter [for making signal or warming fire, not smoking crack lol]. Vise grips are the ONE tool you should always bring because they can sub as a brake/shift pedal if you snap one off:thumbsup:

Hey Romey, don't you also like to pack full leg casts and MRI machines....and don't forget the sausage in a can! LOL

That's gold, wouldn't be a pisser if it fell out :smirk:

I go riding with a mate who carries all that sh#t, so I don't have to. :smirk:

But "Snakes" are must to carry when riding

In my backpack I carry a hand pump, patch kit, and a bunch of cable ties.

I recently installed a very small Pelican 1040 micro case on the rear fender, because I was tired of carrying the extra weight of tools in my backpack on long back-country rides. It's waterproof and has a rubber liner to keep the tools quiet while on the move. I carry these tools in the case...

-multitool

-plug wrench

-spoke wrench

-1/4 inch drive mini ratchet

-10,12,14 mm combo wrenches

-phillips and flat head screwdriver bits

-8,10,12 mm deep sockets, 6 mm shallow socket

-3 hex wrenches (one cut short to fit the carb drain)

The little Pelican 1040 case looks like this...

Pelican1040.jpg

Tucked and bolted to the inside of the left side body panel, I carry two combination tire levers, which were made from bargain bin combo wrenches, and have box ends to fit the axles on one end, and tire lever tips on the other ends.

The homemade tire-lever/axle-wrenches look like this...

32mmComboLever.jpg

Hey Romey, don't you also like to pack full leg casts and MRI machines....and don't forget the sausage in a can! LOL

I have to carry the MRI machine so I always give the "sausage in the can" to you to carry, but gosh darnit'; I can never figure out where you keep it?:smirk: LOL

Ya'll yahoo's sound like my squad; one needin' the MRI-on-the-Trail machine, and the other chillin' with Vienna sausages. :smirk:

Yan, great pics bro- love it! :smirk:

DRZ,

that's very cool, do you have a picture of how it looks on the bike?

Thank you.

I'll take a few shots of the Pelican case on the bike and the tucked away tire-lever wrenches for you, as soon as the rain stops around here.

:smirk:

I recently installed a very small Pelican 1040 micro case on the rear fender

What a great idea. Pelican cases rock! The 1040 is a good fit for a digital camera as well.

Edited by Lpambianco1

What a great idea. Pelican cases rock! The 1040 is a goofit for a digital camera as well.

Yep...Pelican cases are good gear.

My FZ1 has a separate pillion seat, like most sportbikes do. Here's what I came up with in the way of lock-to-the-bike luggage, using a Pelican 1550 case. The extra pillion seat assembly I needed only cost me $80 brand new, from Yamaha. Great setup for solo sport-touring on the streetbike...

CaseInstallVersion201.jpg

CaseInstallVersion203.jpg

CaseInstallVersion204.jpg

CaseInstall06.jpg

Here's some photos of the Pelican micro case and tire lever tuck-away setup on my KLX450R, as promised.

Tire lever combo wrenches...

Tools01.jpg

The Pelican 1040 micro-case. I through-bolted it in place with stainless hardware, and locknuts...

Tools02.jpg

Tools03.jpg

Tools04.jpg

Tools05.jpg

Edited by DRZ400SK4

A tow rope, a siphon pump, bailing wire, duct tape, orange surveyor's tape and lots of zip-ties. People always carry ties, but I also carry the huge ones that are the width of your finger; 6 of those and NO tire is coming off the rim!

I carry all the other stuff mentioned, too, obviously.

I carry it all in my hydration/backpak because I have multiple bikes- just easier that way.

I have some bicycle tools- very lightweight. I also carry a small socket set.

Passed a KTM on the side of the trail a few years back and he was having some problems. I stopped, offered to help- he had no tools... nothing. Everything he needed I had... everything.

Got him going and I said "Want to check your tire pressures, I have small compressor with me?"

He just looks at me and says "......uh.... no.... that's ok, I.... you don't really have a compressor do you?

"No, that was a joke"

It's also nice to know what will/won't work. I know that to get to the plug on my KDX on the trail, you sort of need a modified wrench, so I have that, too.

Thank you for sharing DRZ. That looks like a great setup.

Awesome stuff and great solutions all.

Everything that has already been mentioned......Instead of duct tape I carry the foil type duct tape. It will work as an emergency case repair if necessary.