Sign in to follow this  

KX shock question

A couple of years ago I bought an '04 KX 125 roller for my hybrid project. Everything was in good shape with little wear, so I assumed everything was original.

I'm getting ready to service my shock and now have a question. The piece with the schrader valve is different on my bike than all the other '04 KX 125 shocks I've seen on eBay. This is what mine looks like:

DSC03974.jpg

All the '04 shocks I've seen on eBay look like this:

DSC03976.jpg

I can't find any p/n on the shock to try to identify if this is the correct shock or not. Does that piece look factory or would that be an aftermarket item that was done during a rebuild? Are there any p/n's on a shock to identify what bike it was meant for?

Thanks

it looks like a yz shock? do a google search on images and you will see

mog - I see what you mean. Is there any way to ID a shock? I thought I looked pretty closely, but I didn't any numbers that would match to a micro fiche.

I've got a 2005 KX 250 shock that I was going to practice rebuilding so I could minimize downtime. That shock is 5mm shorter than my 'kx' shock. At the time I just assumed the '05 250 used a slightly different set-up. But now I'm wondering if that 250 shock really should be the one on my bike.

dont really know of a way to id it, other than match it to a yz(they have not changed much from say 98-05 then 06 to 09)

Looks like someone put a larger volume rez cap on it. Possibly from a YZ shock like Mog said.

doc

Looks like someone put a larger volume rez cap on it. Possibly from a YZ shock like Mog said.

doc

That is what I'm thinking now. Of all the YZ shock pictures I found, the clevis is totally different on those shocks.

I did find an '04 KX 250 shock on eBay that said it was revalved by PC and it had the same style cap as what is on mine. I'll find out when I take it apart, but now I'm guessing that the shock has at least been serviced, possibly revalved.

Thanks for the help guys.

It looks like an aftermarket extended reservoir cap. Basically it increases the volume of the nitrogen reservoir/bladder, which in turns helps keeping it from fading over a long period of riding.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By smokey9lives
      Hi,
      I have a 2003 DRZ (actually a KLX400) and the head tube bearings are shot.  I ordered a new set to install but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on other parts I should replace while I have the front disassembled.  I was thinking about new rubber fork protectors, but are there other things that wear out on the DRZ front ends that you can only get to when disassambled?
      I also broke off a replacement key that I got for the steering lock.  I must have been made of cheap pot-metal.  Should I just remove the whole lock mechanism?
      Any tips or tricks for getting the old bearings out and the new ones in would be welcome!
      Thanks!
    • By hondahondo
      A few picks of my winter project.

• By Luke Hufford
      Hey guys. I recently purchased a 16 yz250x and the first 2 rides i LOVED the suspension. Then the day before a race i reset all my clickers to stock and everything felt like crap. No plushness at all and deflected off everything. I now have a 5.4 shock spring for my 190 pound weight and dialed in sag. Any recommendations on where i should go from here? Right now the fork is 12 out on comp and 15 out on rebound. Shock is 1.75 turns out on hsc, 14 out on lsc, and 18 out on rebound. Any help would be appreciated!
    • By jake gu
      Today we’re going to be talking a little bit about automotive suspensions and how they work to smoothen the ride of your car. There are mainly three purposes of the automotive suspension system. First, they support the  weight of the vehicle. Second, they maintain accurate tire contact with the ground. And third, they absorb any shock that you get through the road when you hit a bump.
      Most modern vehicles come with an independent front suspension. Which means if one wheel hits a bump it does not disturb the other wheel. Nowadays, people use Coil Spring to support the majority of weight in the car. As it has a really good characteristics for absorbing any bumps as you go up and down on the road.
      However Springs aren’t very good at dissipating that energy. In fact that’s why you have the shock absorber. Which is there to smoothen out the ride and make sure the tire maintains contact with the road.
      In modern passenger vehicles the two most popular suspensions are McPherson strut and double wishbone style of suspension. The main advantage of the McPherson strut suspension is that it’s really cheap and simple that’s why a lot of manufacturers are moving towards this design. The double wishbone design allows the wheel to stay perpendicular to the body as it navigates a corner or as it goes over a bump. And that maintains good tire contact patch no matter where the wheel is situated. Another advantage of this design is that it can be made adjustable where you can control the position of upper control arms ball Joints.
      Click to Know More About Ball Joints and other Suspension Components