Sign in to follow this  

too small for an adult

My friend was trying to get me to pay $800 for a 2008 TTR 230 (craigslift) but I told him the TTR look too small for me. Though the price looks right. :smirk:

I'm 21 5'10 and 145 pounds. Was I right? I'm looking more for a yz250f than a TTR. I want to ride trail, mx, street if i get the tires, and FMX.

Dr.

TTR230 is a full sized bike with 21" front wheel and 18" rear wheel. At your height and weight it is just fine. But, it is a world apart from the YZ250F motocross bike.

It is a trail bike and pretty decent to learn on. I dont think you would want to ride it on the track without a lot of suspension and engine modifications. For $800, assuming it is in good shape, you could learn to ride on it and easily sell it for as much as you bought it for (if not more).

Do you have previous riding experience?

thats a good price if the bike is in good shape, fun trail bike, makes a good beginner adult bike, still penty fast in top gear

If that was selling in my neighborhood I would pounce on it...at that price you can try it for awhile and then sell it for more than you paid if you decide you don't like it.

I want to see some TT-R 230 FMX.

I love my TT-R 230. I have a YZ426F for racing, but for just plain fun riding with friends and family, the 230 can't be beat. And it's a pretty darn good hare scrambles mount, too, with stiffer springs.

One of the bike magazines recently had an article on guys using bikes on and off the track. Their conclusion was that it's easier to get a WR250F track ready than making a YZ250F offroad worthy. They did a CRF250X, and said it was too expensive, stick with the WR.

You will probably have fun on the 230 for a while, but want to replace it within a season...maybe sooner or later depending on your skills and learning curve.

It would be my first bike besides the 50cc pit bike that I'm repairing. I have no riding experience. If it's true about them going for 2,000 I may get it and ride it for a season before selling it for a profit. Thanks TT!

Doc.....do a search on Craigslist in the list of GA cities for a "TTR230" and "TTR 230" and you can at least see the asking prices for all the similar bikes that are listed.

If you are not familiar with buying off Craigslist you will learn quickly that bargains get snapped up quickly (i.e. sometimes advertised, sold and pickup within 24 hours) I sold 3 motorcycles this past fall that were super clean I priced very competitively. All were sold and picked up within 3 days of my ad and usually to the first responder who wanted to come see it. I also sold 2 kids bikes this past September. Both gone withijn 24 hours. My guess is he already has some people lined up to look at it this weekend and unless it is broken down or not running, it will be snatched up by the very first person who contacts the seller and shows up with $800 cash.

Your comment about you "may get it" leads me to believe that you are merely thinking about it and haven't contacted the seller. I apologize if you are already all over it and have already planned where and when to see it. I am merely trying to emphasize that a lot of savvy buyers are trolling CL every day and can recognize and grab a bargain quickly. Without a picture and without seeing it in person, I cant tell you if its a great deal, but it certainly has the potential.

Yeah the lack of picture and my knowledge on the bike is making me slow to pull the trigger. I didn't expect to buy a bike for a while since I was saving the cash for a yz250f. I have saved up $750 so I'm close enough to offer. I was hoping that because colombus is a slow area (not many advertisments) that I could wait and see. I know what you mean about those savvy buyers though. I've been trollin craigslist atlanta for 2 months now. No yz250f past 2001 for under $1800. First bike, don't know what to spend, you know what I mean.

Yeah the lack of picture and my knowledge on the bike is making me slow to pull the trigger. I didn't expect to buy a bike for a while since I was saving the cash for a yz250f. I have saved up $750 so I'm close enough to offer. I was hoping that because colombus is a slow area (not many advertisments) that I could wait and see. I know what you mean about those savvy buyers though. I've been trollin craigslist atlanta for 2 months now. No yz250f past 2001 for under $1800. First bike, don't know what to spend, you know what I mean.

You would be fool not to pounce on that if it is a running bike, and in even moderate condition. A new set of plastics and you could probably double your money! Get in the car now and get going. sheesh.:smirk:

You would be fool not to pounce on that if it is a running bike, and in even moderate condition. A new set of plastics and you could probably double your money! Get in the car now and get going. sheesh.:smirk:
This. Except for the plastics part, the TT-R plastics are 'spensive.

But even if the plastics are crap, it's worth $800 to check it out.

Last WINTER, I paid $800 for my gf's 2001 225. Go get it now or don't get it at all.