Sign in to follow this  

It, is, alive!

Well I just fired up my 2006 650L after a new piston & rings and fresh top end.

Started right up and sounds great so far. When I wrapped the top end up I added oil through the valve adjustment plug until it ran out the crankcase level hole. I then put a quart in the frame oil tank. Shortly after start up (15 seconds) I cracked the upper banjo bolt and had lots of oil flow.

I then proceeded to head to my local, desolate turnpike access road and ran it hard through the gears. Right now I have around 12 miles logged. The forged piston make a different sound over the stock slug and its a good sound! Its put away for the night. We shall see if the new Viton valve stem seals do their job on start up tomorrow.

The sound an engine make after being strewn over a large area and put back together is special. I think it wheelies easier or rev's quicker from my crotch dyno. I still have to mount the new tires but its more fun riding!

Oh yea, no oil leaks either (knocking on wood /head). I am an old school Permatex user!

Edited by cal50

Excellent nice to hear..glad to hear you know how to check oil flow to.alot of smokin engines in the last few years due to rebuilds and the person not knowing that it must be done,which always bothers me.....i really feel bad when a guy puts sweat and tears into a rebuild and she seizes up......most engines do not have as much of a prob self priming like these bikes do.......prob because of the dry sump design......

Post pics:bonk: we like pics:lol:

B

I didn't tear the engine down, but I did drain all the oil when I pulled the engine and it was down for 3 weeks. I changed the filter, wiped everything down good, and it wouldn't drip no matter which way you turned it, so I knew it was fairly dry. Before I restarted it, i filled it with two quarts and let it sit overnight, and then spun the motor with the gas off and the plug disconnected several times before I finally started it. I know with cars if one had sat a lot i always liked to spin the oil pump with a drill before firing it up. I have never had a dry sump system before, so I figured this would help and couldn't hurt. Did I really accomplish anything other than making myself think I did?

What piston did you go with?

JE 600R piston for a tad higher than stock compression and less than a full high compression slug.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Hey!

No more smoke on start up. Before it looked like a fighter bomber went down in the garage. I can attest the biggest culprit were the stock valve stem seals. Although they were not visible damaged they were pretty hard. The valve stem was not being sealed. The bike is a 2006 with a little over 10,000 miles.

The amount of crud (oil) burned on the valves and the old piston top was nasty. Its all gone now.

Now to change that whooped rear tire.....

LEFTSIDE.jpg

JE 600R piston for a tad higher than stock compression and less than a full high compression slug.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Boy that's prudy......I like them shiny aluminum slugs:thumbsup:

Ok got a question for you, did you notice a power increase with the new shiny parts?

Ok got a question for you, did you notice a power increase with the new shiny parts?

This is from the "crotch dyno" but I really feel it revs faster and wheelies easier now. I am really pleased with the end result. If your going to pull the head off for leaky valve seals its a perfect time to check and clean the head/valve train and remove the piston & jug for inspection.

Now to find some type of rack for it. I have been eying larger tangs also.