Only have 1st and neutral???

Kid broke the 2005 crf230. No big crash, no jamming the tranny. but it only has 1st and N. Any idea what broke? I have to tear the tranny open but could use some ideas so I don't tear too far... shift fork?...

I don't know if the crf is the same but on the drz400 there's been a few instances where the little c-clip behind the shifter on the shift shaft came off and let the shaft move inwards causing similar problems. Might be worth a quick look. It's # 21 in the pic. Good luck.

14KPS3E1_KPS4E1400A.gif

I'd start by pulling the clutch cover and seeing what is going on with the shaft...

thanks, FWIW clutch is working fine, but I can take a look. keep em comin'

fixed it, your gonna love this one...

The shifter bent ever so slightly to where it hit the case on an upshift. Could not see it until I layed the bike over to look. Changed shifter to one spline lower on the shaft and found the other gears.

fixed it, your gonna love this one...

The shifter bent ever so slightly to where it hit the case on an upshift. Could not see it until I layed the bike over to look. Changed shifter to one spline lower on the shaft and found the other gears.

Don't worry... It has happened many times before :smirk:

was going to say to check just that, had exactly the same thing happen on my old 150f

lol, gotta love it when its such an easy fix.

good for you.