Overcome with Wisdom?

I posted this in the Town Square forum earlier this week and thought I might try to lighten it up a little.

This was the forth time on my "new to me" 05 CR250 and 35 years away from dirt bikes. I am now 53 and still getting used to the power of these awesome bikes and trying to feel comfortable at a motocross track. I am still trying to overcome a fear of jumping and consistently getting as much as 18 - 20 inches of air. The other day I was ripping out of a turn and feeling great, I was approaching a 10' tabletop but first I needed to rip over some rough and do my customary shut down the throttle and get as much air as I felt comfortable with (That would be 18"-20"). Well, this time the rough caused my body to move back on the seat and inadvertently my wrist moved to WOT. The CR mistakenly assumed that I wanted this to mean "Lets GO" when in fact I wanted to "SLOW DOWN".

I was holding on and concentrated on using my finger tips to roll back the throttle and I felt a moment of relief when I did, BUT then I hit the face, I was paralyzed and just didn't move, I had never experienced airborne except when taking off in a plane. During mid flight it was either curiosity or self preservation that took over and I took a peak over the left side of the bike being ever so careful not to move too much. I saw the tops of two little helmets standing next to two little yellow bikes, I heard myself say "oh ...". I don't remember the landing but I choked on the next jump and decided it was time to park the bike.

I got to the trailer and my friend who saw my performance on the tabletop said, you looked real good out there on that last jump, it looks like your more relaxed jumping.

I want to be comfortable at jumping but its been so many years and with the throttle response of these bikes today I just don't know what's going to happen from take off to landing.

10' table? Sounds like a bmx track.. Sorry I got distracted by a gyro bowl commercial..,

Don't forget to grip the bike with the legs, cuts back on whiskey.

The cr has a strong mid pull, maybe shifting up will keep that front wheel a little lower. Airtime will show up eventually, have fun.

This was the forth time on my "new to me" 05 CR250 and 35 years away from dirt bikes. I am now 53 and still getting used to the power of these awesome bikes and trying to feel comfortable at a motocross track.

Cool! I turned 52 last month. I *started* riding motocross when I was 50, just over a year and a half ago. My main bike is a CR250 too. ?

I am still trying to overcome a fear of jumping and consistently getting as much as 18 - 20 inches of air.

Yeah... Me too! I spend all my time on the "vet" tracks here, occasionally working up the nerve to go around the national track, mostly for the longer straights and the whoops...

The CR mistakenly assumed that I wanted this to mean "Lets GO" when in fact I wanted to "SLOW DOWN".

Mine does the same thing! Insane jack rabbit that it is... ?

I got to the trailer and my friend who saw my performance on the tabletop said, you looked real good out there on that last jump, it looks like your more relaxed jumping.

Some times ya just gotta go with what ya got... "Yeah, thanks man, that was exactly what I was trying to do!" ?

I want to be comfortable at jumping but its been so many years and with the throttle response of these bikes today I just don't know what's going to happen from take off to landing.

I'm in the same place! I try to keep the throttle steady as I approach any jump, plus I make sure I'm always standing and squeezing the bike between my legs. I bought all of Gary Semics' videos, and I've been watching them whenever I think I'm ready to learn more.

Stick with it! Maybe I'll see you on the track... :prof:

My advice would be to find one or two safe jumps and practice hitting those harder and harder. By safe, I mean the kind of jump you can hit easy or hard without issue. You can just roll the rest or whatever but concentrate on those two.

Practice good form, gripping the tank with your knees to control the bike, etc. That should give you something to look forward to each lap and keep you out there longer which is what it takes to get faster. Try to relax when you're out there. Gripping the tank will help you relax your hands and make it less likely that you "whiskey throttle".

Just keep in mind that at our age you don't have to clear everything out there. Just be safe and have fun. ?

yea you have to get used to the hit in the powerband! like said above try riding around the track a gear up, instead of 3rd use 4th. that will tame it down some...other than that just takes flight miles to feel comfortable up there! i've been riding since I was 5 now 33 and jumping is mostly in your head, it's all about confidence and some skill. got to stay loose and not tense and dead sailor flying.

Thanks for all the great advice, my friend at work had talked me into getting back in the dirt and he also instructing me in proper riding form, elbows up, squeeze the tank, proper pressure on the pegs…

I thought I new how to ride dirt as a kid but never had anyone to teach me proper technique, also it was all trails and fields with very little jumping and no MX.

I don't fear the bike, just the air. I use that fear to ride smart and I don't push the limits of my riding ability. As you all have stated, work on form and take it slow. That has been and will continue to be my motto.

4-stroke is just out of the question, not to put them down but I enjoy the throttle response, the sound, the smell of mix, and controlling the 2-stroke. (Not to mention cost of maintenance) A 4-stroke will not fit the bill for me. I wont say never, when I turn 90 I may be looking for electric start or just keep the CR and find someone to kick it over for me.

thanks again for the great advice

4-stroke is just out of the question, not to put them down but I enjoy the throttle response, the sound, the smell of mix, and controlling the 2-stroke. (Not to mention cost of maintenance) A 4-stroke will not fit the bill for me.

If you put a few laps on a CRF250, I sure you would change your mind. As far as maintenance costs go, I've been riding CRF450's since '03 and have never needed to so much as shim a valve. I have 4 thumpers and 3 smokers currently in my garage so I'm not biased. I love both, but I've been riding motocross non-stop since 1980 and I'm sure you would ride better, and safer, on a thumper, given the amount of track experience that you have and your age.

If you put a few laps on a CRF250, I sure you would change your mind. As far as maintenance costs go, I've been riding CRF450's since '03 and have never needed to so much as shim a valve. I have 4 thumpers and 3 smokers currently in my garage so I'm not biased. I love both, but I've been riding motocross non-stop since 1980 and I'm sure you would ride better, and safer, on a thumper, given the amount of track experience that you have and your age.

I have thought that maybe I should have started with a CR125