Sign in to follow this  

2012 ktm...

Great looking bikes, and now that KTM has accepted the inevitable (linkage works), I'd definitely consider one.

I have a 08 yz 125 and a 2011 ktm 150sx and I have to say the rear shock is not where the ktm is laking the forks are. I love my yz125 ,but the perfect bike for me would be my 150sx rear suspension(and bike) with my yz125 forks for motocross.

They do look good. Just too dang expensive though. Plus dealer network is lacking, you can find a yamaha dealer around here a lot easier than a ktm dealer.

is it too much to ask for ufo, acerbis, or whoever to make some after market side panels like that for the yz's. they are so sexy!

I think I will consider one as well, if I buy another dirt bike. I still have not finished my 06 yz yet! Its tough to complain about a company who gives people what they want and ask for.

I agree dealer support is something to consider, but the local Japanese dealers look like ghost towns. LOW inventory.

The only issue I have is the rear fender bends downward. Never been a fan of that look personally. Other than that they look awesome.

Remember last year when no link suspension was where it was at for their 2 strokes? Well...not so much.
Great looking bikes, and now that KTM has accepted the inevitable (linkage works), I'd definitely consider one.

Did KTM go to a link because linkless was that much worse, or because public perception is that it's worse? I know a lot of KTM riders that are really happy with their suspension, many which came from or own other brands. Heck, there's already one in this post!

Makes me think of when Suzuki ditched the awesome Showa twin chamber conventional forks they ran in 97 & 98 for inverted forks. Everything about the 99 forks was worse, but people were brainwashed into thinking that conventional forks just sucked. So it was changed to gain market share. I think it's possible that's where KTM is going (ok, flame away!)

is it too much to ask for ufo, acerbis, or whoever to make some after market side panels like that for the yz's. they are so sexy!

And it's funny, when KTM went to tiny side panels LOTS of people hated them. Especially people that needed to fit 3 digit race numbers on them!

I will say, those bikes are pretty. If I were in the market for a brand new bike, it would be a pumpkin.

Rc's right. It seems every year they do listen to what people want, and make small changes. The fact that they update their 2ts is very respectable.

I have a 08 yz 125 and a 2011 ktm 150sx and I have to say the rear shock is not where the ktm is laking the forks are. I love my yz125 ,but the perfect bike for me would be my 150sx rear suspension(and bike) with my yz125 forks for motocross.

I agree, and if Yamaha doesn't do something soon I will be on orange and I have a feeling a lot of others will also, YAMAHA ARE YOU LISTENING. I have a 09 yz 125 and rode a friends 11 150sx, the bike felt good and I couldn't tell much diff in the rear susp but the forks are not even close, now it may have been that the forks were so much diff that I didn't notice the rear as much, but I would like to try a set of WP's that had been worked on a little or put my KYB's on and ride it. Not sure if the axle offset is the same but I would like to try it.

I know if things dont change in the Yami camp my next race bike will be orange... and that days soon approaching. My current bike is 3 years old now and taken alot of abuse... not to mention that orange is pretty sexy.

I agree with some of the earlier posts, I dont think the linkageless ass end was the issue. The few KTMs Ive ridden the forks were terrible. Havnt ridden a "current" bike but if the forks are workable, count me in.

I'm happy with the rear shock on my ktm, but I do not do SX tracks

I hear more Yamaha riders speaking of the new orange offerings in a positive late as of late. Years before it was scoffing "yeah, but...." and now it seems to be "yes, and they even changed...."

My YZ is staying but a 350 XCF (or XCFW) will be in the garage one day. Thankfully my youngest nephew is eager to get a YZ125.

Since 2010 KTM has really advance the PDS the forks and the frame, In 2008 they purchased a frame and suspension dyno from a company in Minnesota and put it to good use, the frames are flexing in the right directions, the left and right side of the swing arms are a differant thinkness, the stiction is gone in the forks which compliments the shock.

I'll agree the PDS is sensitive to settings, but it works well, is light weight and simple to maintain, there is nothing to gain offroad other than another 300.00 price increase.

I get new 2t orange bikes every year, and I've been buying SX's because I don't want your 10 lbs. $1200 electric start or the open chamber forks, I won't own another KTM four stroke until they learn how to make a muffler that works rather than just beat the sound test.

My 2 ct.

I think Yamaha could have stayed competitive...or a better option, anyway, if they held the line on price. Obviously, that did not happen. If we were comparing a yz priced at 4999.99 or 5999.00 to a full price KTM, it might be different.

Meanwhile, KTM had addressed every reason I did not want one for. The linkage is not the point since its been a very long time, probably early 90's, since I was able to ride at a higher limit than the motorcycle. Its probably true that the no links system was better...but people wanted a linkage, so they got one.

Those newer ktm's are growing on me. I like that they ditched the black rims and made them look more "Japanese".

How is after market support though? Could someone take that SX and easily turn it into a woods bike like I can with my YZ250? Does the stock ktm suspension work as well off road as the stock YZ suspension does?

This probably all moot anyway, since they have a 250xc to fill that need. I just love the hard hitting nature and responsiveness of the YZ engine and suspect that for me, an SX would be more fun than the XC in the woods.

I like that a good bike model goes unchanged for a few years. Aftermarket parts availability is a big plus for me. Having the ability to completely change your bike any way you like is a nice option to have.

I want linkage, Im not afraid to say so. Now there is no reason for me not to buy a KTM 250sx. Im just saving up the cash. Also, they improved the forks too. Ktm does listen to the riders and as a result they are taking over. They sell more 2t bikes than some Jap manufactorers sell bikes, read in a magazine. The funeist marketing with the 4t bikes are things like the Mags saying " The bike is heavier but doesnt fell like it..." come on really?

Yeah the KTM sx can easilly be made into a woods bike. Its has an ajustable power band. I see no reason to a buy a new YZ over an SX, none. As far as dealer support who cares, mail order is the best option anyways.