Sign in to follow this  

YZ 250 owner talking big

So i have a friend from school that I've been riding with a couple times with a 1999 YZ 250. He thinks that thing is the baddest bike on the block. He's been saying that it could take my dad's 86 XR 600R.

Well . . . sounds possible. The YZ was putting out some good hp numbers and was about 50 pounds lighter than the XR, but the logic in me just can't see how a 600 would lose to a 250.

Yeah it's a two stroke and it's definitly fast, but that's what those XR's were built to do, go fast in a straight line out in the desert. That's why they kicked ass out there.

I've talked with my dad about this and he's calling BS. According to him he's out run dozens of 250 two strokes on everything from straight lines to straigh ups.

What do you guys say? We'll have to find out hopefully this weekend who's BS or not.

I would think on a short sprint the 250 would win but on a long race it would run out of gears. Those old XR600's didn't make alot of horsepower stock, probably pretty comprable #'s to the 250.

I got curious and googled it.

XR600 38hp

YZ 250 46.8hp and close to 100lbs lighter, lol

Only the wide ratio gearing might save the 600 in a long enough race.

i think the YZ250 will take off quicker, but the 600 will probaly catch up and beat it in the long run.

the yz could beat it if you geared it right, otherwise it would be 10 bike lengths ahead until it ran out of gears

Definatly would depend on the distance sprockets and riders for sure it could go either way but my 2 cents if the Yz is ran right it would jump out to far to be coUght unles it's a long straits shot. Either way will make a fun ride

Sure he's talking big... he's also talking the truth.

Have you ever ridden a 250 2t? Don't. You'll want one... or you'll end up like me and buy two at once with plans of buying another new one.

So i have a friend from school that I've been riding with a couple times with a 1999 YZ 250. He thinks that thing is the baddest bike on the block. He's been saying that it could take my dad's 86 XR 600R.

Well . . . sounds possible. The YZ was putting out some good hp numbers and was about 50 pounds lighter than the XR, but the logic in me just can't see how a 600 would lose to a 250.

Yeah it's a two stroke and it's definitly fast, but that's what those XR's were built to do, go fast in a straight line out in the desert. That's why they kicked ass out there.

I've talked with my dad about this and he's calling BS. According to him he's out run dozens of 250 two strokes on everything from straight lines to straigh ups.

What do you guys say? We'll have to find out hopefully this weekend who's BS or not.

ohhh yeah???well my dad can beat up your dad...sorry couldnt resist:bonk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

A yz250 would smoke an xr600 in a short race (1/4 mile or so). If it was a long race all you would have to do is change the rear sprocket and the yz250 would spank the xr again. Its just gearing...but in no way is an xr600 "quicker" then a yz250....only in that it has higher stock gearing...but no where near the power to weight ratio of the yz.

Yeah, back in the day when I had my xr650r I went riding with a couple of friends with YZ250's and thinking my xr would smoke these guys off the line, boy was I wrong, the YZ's beat me every time.

a good rider on either bike will spank all participants of this thread on any bike in any terrain.

Hurts being wrong in an argument with a big mouth doesn't it? It does occasionally happen though. XR600 is just a different kind of bike. Its from before the days when people were willing to buy expensive 4 stroke hand grenades. It has a sensible motor in it but that also means it cant keep up with modern race engines.

a wr geared yz will never see the xr get close......but if i were to be holding 80mph I would rather be on the xr then the yz. short bikes with quick handing and high speed are hairy. I have had both, I still have a yz 250....and a wr 450 for my speed fix.

Never ridden an XR650 but have ridden a YZ250. Biggest issue the YZ will have is keeping the front wheel on the ground! Yes, it's much lighter so shouldn't be too suprising. On a short run, I'd say the YZ. On a long run (say 1/4 mile run), would imagine the XR would catch up and blow by it.

a good rider on either bike will spank all participants of this thread on any bike in any terrain.

Ah yes, the "technically correct, but not useful and barely relevant answer" that shows up in every "Which bike is better" thread.

And Battlestar Bears are best.

It has a sensible motor in it but that also means it cant keep up with modern race engines

Barely kept up with race engines from back then too.