changing shock spring

I am getting ready to do the shock spring and I was looking at the shop manuel and they have you remove the swing arm before you remove the shock. Has anyone done this and do you need to remove the swing arm or can you snake it out. Also, are there any tricks any of you know ?

I am getting ready to do the shock spring and I was looking at the shop manuel and they have you remove the swing arm before you remove the shock. Has anyone done this and do you need to remove the swing arm or can you snake it out. Also, are there any tricks any of you know ?

When I replaced my stock rear shock spring with a heavier spring from Kouba Link, definitely do not need to remove the swing arm. There is enough space to work on the shock without the need to remove the rear wheel too.

What bike????

If 96-on DR650 I seem to remember changing out the spring just by removing the linkage. shock, air-box, swingarm and wheel all stayed on. Back off the preload so the spring can be lifted and the bottom keeper removed. Slide spring off bottom of shock.

Bruce

Just did mine. Changed the shock oil to a heavier viscosity also. I don't run the factory airbox, so just pulled the top and bottom shock mounting bolts (after putting it on a stand that unloaded the rear wheel) and wiggled it up and through the top of the frame. No need to touch the linkage at the bottom unless you are servicing it.

What bike????

If 96-on DR650 I seem to remember changing out the spring just by removing the linkage. shock, air-box, swingarm and wheel all stayed on. Back off the preload so the spring can be lifted and the bottom keeper removed. Slide spring off bottom of shock.

Bruce

OOOPs, sorry, its a 2009 DR650. Thanks for all the replys.

What bike????

Bruce

Thanks for this tip. It worked slick. With a beer or 2, was a 1 hr +/- job. Now tomorrow, I get to see how it works with the new front springs. Watch out Stewart, My wips are going to rock ! There going to call them the Mc-Maaswips !?

• 3 weeks later...
Make sure that the threads on the shock body are thoroughly cleaned before loosening the pre-load rings.

I wish I read this yesterday. I chewed up the retaining ring trying to loosen it. Spray the crap out of it with some parts cleaner and wipe down the threads with a clean cloth, just stay clear of any seals.

The stock rear shock spring is soft, what did the spring run you and the front forks are soft as well.

I think the suspension was setup for someone who weighs like 50lbs.

I did front springs and seals for about 155 and the labor my self, then i put on the new shock spring witch i think ran about 130 shiped. The springs were purchased from Procycle. .80kg up fromt and 8.3kg in the rear. The only thing i need to do now is revalve both ends, but i am out of the green stuff. Next yr maybe. but for now, the setup is working far better then stock.

This bike is more of a money pit then the boat i replaced it with. The wifey is woundering if i will ever stop spending money on it, i said no !:ride: