Sign in to follow this  

Powervalve gasket leak?

I've noticed a oily residue leak from underneath my head pipe. I'm pretty sure its not from the exhaust/cylinder connection as I just put in new o-rings, springs and flange sealant. I had a leak there before but now it seems to be leaking from the powervlave gasket area right below the head pipe.

So do I need to replace that gasket?

photo0046yq.jpg

It is worth a try and it is cheap. You may want to try a thin layer of 3bond 1211, that stuff is killer. I use it on many gaskets,, just enough to make teh gasket shinny not mega thick globs. I've also use 1211 when I replace the O-rings.

Joe........

1-3bond-1211.jpg

Oh ya, the engine has to come out to replace that gasket. It is a little work but easy enough.

Joe........

Oh ya, the engine has to come out to replace that gasket. It is a little work but easy enough.

Joe........

really? I just had the engine out to fix a shifting drum problem, new top end and crank rod. Is there anyway around it?

I broke the exhaust flange on my 144 and could not get it out to replace without pulling the engine. I highly doubt you will be able to get the new gasket in there without pulling the engine out of the frame. Trying would most likely result in damaging the gasket.

Joe.........