Sign in to follow this  

yz250f turns like sh#t!!

I must say that my yz250f is an the best all around bike I have ever owned. The motor rips, it is very reliable, the suspension handles braking bumps or big hits, but I have one very major problem. Its turning!

I have no confendce in the front end. When I least expect it, the front end knifes. I want it to turn like all the other 250f's out there. I have learned to steer more with the rear end & that helps but it still sucks compared to the crf, kxf or ktm sxf that my riding buddys have.

Please help I have turned compression clickers front & back with change. Sag is set 100mm, the bike is plush & I dont want to sell it but if I cant get it to turn it's gone.

Please help 07 yz250f moto into turns!:smirk:

You could try to slide the forks up a few mm in the clamps, i noticed a huge difference after doing that.

What front tire are you running? What tire pressure are you using? Something as simple as that may be your problem. If not, 22mm clamps help make the front end stick a little better.

Raising your forks will not help if its knifing, try 105mm rider sag and check your static sag, should be at least 25mm, and less than 10mm pre-load, if thats set, then your front needs a look,

Back off on your compression about 5 turns and see if it helps, if it does and you bottom, add some oil to your forks, (when last were they serviced?)

Could also be your tire, what is it?

like everyone said suspension first for your wt. but yzf has the best stock stuff out there. my kxfs dont like ruts either, put on rg3 20mm triple clamps it is now the best. i sugest you put 20s on the yz and you will have a big smile on your face.

Iv got a 08 and also had problems with it turning. I took these steps (in this order) and now it turns as good as any bike iv ever riden.

1. Correct body position ( the yz is very sensitive to this)

2. Set sag at 100mm and raise forks 8mm ( it is also very sensitive to fork height too much and it knifes not enough it pushes).

3. Revalve and set up for my weight (this was the best mod so far)

4. 22mm clamps ( i came across a cheap set i couldnt pass up and now it turns like a dream).

P.s this all assuming you have correct tyre pressures and a decent front tyre.

My tires are brand new front & back. (Int. terrian Bridgestones) I run my front tire at about 13-15 lbs depending on the track. I have moved the forks up & down in the triple clamp with no change. My springs are stock which is perfect for my weight 155lbs. I have also ran my sag from 90 to 105mm (no turning changes).

I need a night & day change in the way this thing turns. I would prefer to keep this bike (if it turned) over any other bike out there. I am leaning towards buying a triple clamp but my feeling was that a needed more offset then stock, not 17mm.

Thank you all for the replies.

our 07 yz250f is not the best turning bike out there but its not what i call bad either...when you get the right front tire with the right air pressure and the right sag then it can do really good and can run with any other bike out there...the 07 is a very stable bike that really doesnt do anything wrong from what ive found except for wanting to stand up on corner exit if you dont stay down with it...good luck and dont give up on it and get something else that you might regret later...i would take the advice from kj790 on the clamps or anything he can help you with...he knows these yz250fs as good as anyone:thumbsup:

You need less offset in the clamps this will do the following

1) increase your trail. Increasing your trail will add stability and allow the bike to carve more mid corner.

2) shorten the wheel base which usually helps the bike turn quicker

3) add more weight to the front by pulling the front tire under the steering stem a little more.

All these things help the front tire bite more and will give you more feed back before the bike tucks the front tire, and will add stability.

On my 06 WR250f steel frame the bike turned great loved the steel frame and they had 125mm of trail I went to the 07 aluminum frame WR250F and that bike has 115mm of trail. The aluminum frame YZ250F and the WR250F have very similar geometry.

The triple clamp from Zip Ty is the single biggest positive change you can make to the bike. There is no possible way any suspension change can replace physically changing the offset in a triple clamp.

Buy the clamp first worry about the suspension later. All the Pros I know running a aluminum frame Yamaha four stroke are running a clamp of some kind.

My tires are brand new front & back. (Int. terrian Bridgestones) I run my front tire at about 13-15 lbs depending on the track. I have moved the forks up & down in the triple clamp with no change. My springs are stock which is perfect for my weight 155lbs. I have also ran my sag from 90 to 105mm (no turning changes).

I need a night & day change in the way this thing turns. I would prefer to keep this bike (if it turned) over any other bike out there. I am leaning towards buying a triple clamp but my feeling was that a needed more offset then stock, not 17mm.

Thank you all for the replies.

Something is wrong if you've moved the forks up and down and sag up and down and you can't tell a difference.

You may want to check the forks for some kind of stiction problem keeping the front from diving in the corner. I can tell a major difference when the above is adjusted.

Something is wrong if you've moved the forks up and down and sag up and down and you can't tell a difference.

You may want to check the forks for some kind of stiction problem keeping the front from diving in the corner. I can tell a major difference when the above is adjusted.

I did notice a change when I adjusted the sag but not what I was looking for. I feel like when I am on my buddy's Honda or KTM it just goes where I point it. You are right I should have the forks checked as it has been about 2 years. The forks do handle great over braking bumps or hard landings though with no leaks.

Thank you for your time.

Get your butt more forward on the seat.

When I'm tired and it's late in a moto and I'm not far enough forward, the turning is off a bit. I've been thinking of a seat hump to keep me forward.

I must say that my yz250f is an the best all around bike I have ever owned. The motor rips, it is very reliable, the suspension handles braking bumps or big hits, but I have one very major problem. Its turning!

I have no confendce in the front end. When I least expect it, the front end knifes. I want it to turn like all the other 250f's out there. I have learned to steer more with the rear end & that helps but it still sucks compared to the crf, kxf or ktm sxf that my riding buddys have.

Please help I have turned compression clickers front & back with change. Sag is set 100mm, the bike is plush & I dont want to sell it but if I cant get it to turn it's gone.

Please help 07 yz250f moto into turns!:smirk:

You need to explain what you mean by "knifes". From reading the answers there is a great deal of confusion as to what your problem really is.