Sign in to follow this  

I,ve got a screw loose

So I was reading the tune up section in Clymer about the "pilot fuel mixture screw" I go to find it as the pic is not clear, and find a hole where a screw should be. Is this the same as the popular extended fuel mix screws? Now I see I can't add attach. So looking up from the bottom first hole on right from left side of bike, engine side of carb. Clear as mud?

The screw you are looking for is hidden under a cap. (closest to the motor) The cap has to be removed to reveal the mixture screw. There is also a cover plate over the idle passages - don't remove that. And there is a blank hole only used for a nipple on CA carbs. All pretty much together underside/front of the carb. Probably some pictures in FAQ.

Thats what I expected to find but I found the first spot that could hold a screw on the left side, bottom front (engine side)of the carb. It is open, and threaded with a little oily dirt around it. but I cant get the picture in here for the life of me.

So what I really need to know is....what should be in that hole? extended fuel mixture screw? Nothing? regular bolt?

Ok, so I found the diagram of the carb in Clymer and it appears to be the "starter (choke) jet" should that definitely be replaced ASAP?

Bike starts fine, choke needs longer than the 30 seconds the manual suggests but I figured they were just a little optimistic with that figure.

Well....It's hard to tell. A 2d pic dosen't translate easy to 3d. I guess I'm going to have to go to a shop...only problem is there isn't one within 20 miles or so of me.

Edited by JoshTT06DRZ

If you have the carb off the bike, look in the bore from the engine side. You see that small hole in the bottom of the bore just in front of the throttle plate. That hole is direct in line with the idle mixture adjust screw. The tapered end of the screw restricts that hole from the outside of the carb. If no screw, it is missing.

If you have the carb off the bike, look in the bore from the engine side. You see that small hole in the bottom of the bore just in front of the throttle plate. That hole is direct in line with the idle mixture adjust screw. The tapered end of the screw restricts that hole from the outside of the carb. If no screw, it is missing.

Thanks. It's not off right now but I'll check when I get home.