Baja 500 Sportsman rules

Looking for clarification on SCORE Sportsman "Over" and Sportsman "Under" classification rules. I have looked at the SCORE 2006-2010 Rule Book, but it mainly covers the Pro Classes. I guess my question is..... Is the over/under referring to over/under 250cc or over/under 450cc?

Is it like Class 21(450cc or smaller) and Class 22(251cc or greater).......... Meaning a 450 can race either class?

Or like Class 20(250cc or smaller) and Class 22(251cc or greater)......

Our main race bike, a 450x backed out, now we are looking running the old tried and true WR426. That's what got me thinking about the displacement numbers. As always thanks for the help and see you down there.:smirk:

426 would be in the under

i think (guess), almost positive

If SNR wasn't in a committed relationship...maybe he would be chiming in on this one...No more time for TT

I know a guy who needs to be in a committed relationship (get laid) who should be around here to comment momentarily

I know a guy who needs to be in a committed relationship (get laid) who should be around here to comment momentarily

The classes are Sportsman Over 250cc and Sportsman Under 250cc. You'll be racing Sportsman Over 250cc with the tried and true 426. Good luck and have fun.

Now if you'll excuse me, my hand needs some morning love.

The classes are Sportsman Over 250cc and Sportsman Under 250cc. You'll be racing Sportsman Over 250cc with the tried and true 426. Good luck and have fun.

I stand corrected. Apparently rules change. It is in fact Sportsman Under 450cc and Sportsman Over 450cc, but don't get hung up on the mathematical details. You can technically race the 426 in either class.

It's worth nothing that this Sportsman 450cc Over/Under business is utter nonsense. How can you have two classes with the same displacement, especially in Sportsman? What's the point? Class 21/22 is equally as controversial, but the way I see it, Class 21 is just semi-pro :smirk:

I never have understood some of SCORE's rules and probably never will. If it is 450 over/under I think we will put the 426 in the under class..... Get us out from behind most of the sportsmans traffic. We were hoping to race the 30class but just can't spend an extra $400 on an entry. As always thanks for the help.

One more question...... I don't want to be "that" guy. Is racing a 426 in the under class

sandbagging?

Not even sandbagging at all...go for it...

Its a madhouse out there on race day anyways.

There has been much more underhanded techniques applied on that start line...

Many here could chime in on such hijinx

One more question...... I don't want to be "that" guy. Is racing a 426 in the under class

sandbagging?

Race the big boy class. A 426 is, for all intents and purposes, a 450. If for no other reason, you'll start ahead of an entire (albeit redundant) class.

Race the big boy class. If for no other reason, you'll start ahead of an entire (albeit redundant) class.

Which class are you referring too.... Pro30? I would love to, I just cant justify spending an extra $400 just to race a "Pro" class, we are scraping just to pay our Sportsman entry and dirtbag the rest of the race. No pit service..... stash gas.... one chase truck. We raced Spts/Over at the 1000..... started mid pack and were up to 2nd in Sportsman by RM80. We stayed with in the top 2 or 3 sportsman till handing off the bike at BOLA. Correct me if I am wrong, but by starting in Spts/under we would not have to deal with most of the sportsman traffic and would bump into the slower Pro classes relativity soon. That would keep us at a good pace and out of some of the dust....?

Sorry, I was suggesting you race Sportsman Over 450, but I guess I was wrong in assuming the Sportsman Over started before Sportsman Under. None of this is making any sense any more. Race Sportsman Under 450 if you want to deal with fewer bikes. Everything spreads out relatively quickly anyway, so it doesn't really matter. And on that note, considering Score's class changes, it seems nothing matters anymore. It's all arbitrary.

sportsman over starts before sportsman under.

and usually only one or two in the under class are not on 450s.

sportsman over starts before sportsman under.

Unless they changed things recently..... The 450 under start before the 450 over. At lesat that was how we started at the 1000.

I had to check on that one.

last years 500, UNDER started after the OVER

and

UNDER started before the OVER class in the 1000

The top guys in the UNDER class smoked the OVER class in the 500, so I guess they started them first in the 1000.

In this year's 250, the OVER started first but the UNDER leader had a better time than the OVER winner.

The experts here probably can answer if that means anything for the 500.

I've chased for a sportsman UNDER team for a few years and I don't remember them starting before the OVER, but I guess they did in the 1000 last year.

==

call SCORE and see if that means the UNDER class would start first or not.

==

on a 426, race UNDER.

There are usually half as many guys in that class anyway - if you are a RS, it is a small class anyway.

Ya I will have to call and see if I can get a strait answer from SCORE about this races starting order. Seems like classes get switched around a little ever now and then. I appreciate the insight. Hopefully we can pull togather the last little bit of money and make this thing happen.

Regarding class starting order -

The pro classes start based on fastest finish from each respective class at the preceding year's race. (same event) So - typically you have class 22 starting first, followed by some manifestation of 21, 20, 30, 40, and so on. See what the top finisher's time was from each class at last year's 5-hundo for the motos and that's how they'll leave the line this year. :smirk:

I don't know if they include the sportsman in this equation in the same fashion. Call Bill at SCORE tech.

Edited by Dane LaFontaine
sp

2011 rule change for SCORE

CLASS 22 (401cc or more)

CLASS 21 (400cc or less)

CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old)

CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old)

CLASS 50 (Riders over 50 years old)

CLASS 60 (Riders over 60 years old)

Pro ATVs

CLASS 25 (401cc or more)

CLASS 24 (400cc or less)

CLASS 26 (Limited Utility)

Sportsman

SPORTSMAN CAR

SPORTSMAN TRUCK

SPORTSMAN UTV

SPORTSMAN M/C < 401cc

SPORTSMAN M/C > 400cc

SPORTSMAN ATV

Couple of corrections and you've got that dead bang:

CLASS 21 cut-off is 450cc and under - CLASS 22 is 450cc and over, so yes you could ride a 450 in either class.

Insert CLASS 20 = anything (two or four stroke) under 400cc

All verified per Bill Savage at SCORE tech. :smirk:

2011 rule change for SCORE

CLASS 22 (401cc or more)

CLASS 21 (400cc or less)

CLASS 30 (Riders over 30 years old)

CLASS 40 (Riders over 40 years old)

CLASS 50 (Riders over 50 years old)

CLASS 60 (Riders over 60 years old)

Pro ATVs

CLASS 25 (401cc or more)

CLASS 24 (400cc or less)

CLASS 26 (Limited Utility)

Sportsman

SPORTSMAN CAR

SPORTSMAN TRUCK

SPORTSMAN UTV

SPORTSMAN M/C < 401cc

SPORTSMAN M/C > 400cc

SPORTSMAN ATV

That was actually a cut & paste from SCORE's own press release from January. Including the absence of class 20 (entry list for the 500 confirms this).

But, I'm not surprised SCORE is confused on their own rules.

That was actually a cut & paste from SCORE's own press release from January..
That was the new structure when it actually made sense... Now it's back to confusing.

Run whatever bike you want in any class, nobody will check, no officials will care.