Throttle spring noise?

When I twist the throttle on my 99 Yz250 the throttle spring sounds like it is binding. I hear a 'clink' noise at consistently around 3/4 throttle. Is this a problem? should I just lube the spring? Might crack the carb cap tomorrow and see what's going on

thanks

Mine does the same exact thing right at the 3/4 mark too. I checked the slide, spring, cable etc. I took the slide out and back in several times and it still had that click sound. Mine does fine and has never stuck or anything like that so I keep on riding. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this.

my 125 did that after I installed a new throttle cable.I took it a part and redid everything and the sound went away. I don't think it really causes any problems but its not normal. The only click noise should be the slide closing completely.

It's the spring getting slightly caught on the top of the needle nut in the slide as the spring compresses. One thing to try is to flip the spring over - this worked for me. I don't think it's probably a huge deal, but it does create a little bind then the slide will jump when the spring releases. I'm not a good enough rider to probably notice it.

Could also be hte spring is wearing out a bit and bends when it is compressed.

when the spring compresses it does not do so uniformly as there is no guide, so there is likely a coil in the stack that is passing another. as long as it functions properly you are fine. a broken spring makes noises too but will not smoothly funtion or return.

K thanks for the help, will try reinstalling the spring upside down to see if it helps. Glad to hear no throttle sticking problems, throttle stick at 3/4 throttle would be pretty gnarly!

Going to try this myself. I'll report back and let ya'll know what happens.

Well the "upside down spring mod" worked :smirk: !

not sure how it worked besides changing the orientation. Spring is old and may need a replacement in the near future for peace of mind.

Thanks Valkrider! have had this issue in the past and could not figure it out....at some point I must have flipped the spring...issue went away. Always was curious as to why.

Thanks Valkrider! have had this issue in the past and could not figure it out....at some point I must have flipped the spring...issue went away. Always was curious as to why.

Good Deal!! I just happend to have done this 2 weeks ago on my Son's 125. Glad it worked for you!!

I had the same problem the first time I took my YZ carb apart. I came on here and somebody said to make sure the little notch on the plastic piece is lined up when you put it in. If it does not slide into the grove then you will get that click. I didn't remember lining anything up so when I took it apart and saw what they were talking about the noise was gone. But it did sound similar to the clicking noise you are describing.

Agree with above post and need to add if the retainer is not fixxed the cable will come out eventually.

Make sure the little plastic thing the springs sits on is full seated on the needle nut and the little notch in the white piece lines up with the notch in the nut.