Sign in to follow this  

Cheap synthetic oil?

I usually use rotella 15-40w dino or supertech 15-40w in everything, but I think I am going to switch. what's the cheapest synth that's good for our XRLs? I can't find much from searching... seems like rotella synth is it... how often are you all going between changes with synth?

I hate to sound trite, but why bother to go halfway. I figure the difference between cheap regular oil and the very best synthetic costs me less than one cent per mile over 2000 miles, and after 700 miles the Castrol Synthetic still looks as good as it did out of the bottle, so I may go 3000. I'm going to pull a sample and get it analyzed at 2000 and decide. I changed the jets and I am too impatient to let it warm up fully before heading to work so I will run some enrichment for a ways, and I fully expected to see at least some darkening of the oil, but so far so good.

My judgement may be clouded by working for BP.

My judgement may be clouded by working for BP....

And your shop has no shortage of oil.....:smirk:

Oil change interval doesn't increase. The oil is still absorbing and containing all the contaminating particles. I use Mobil 1 myself, a lot of people also swear by the Rotella. Sticking to a regular oil change interval is far more important than the particular brand of oil you choose.

I too run Rotella Dino or Synthetic.

Usually around here I run dino oil because I change it more often then say, my Baja trip where I ran synthetic which still wasn't bad because we changed oil in Cabo which was 2000kms.

Oil change interval doesn't increase. The oil is still absorbing and containing all the contaminating particles. I use Mobil 1 myself, a lot of people also swear by the Rotella. Sticking to a regular oil change interval is far more important than the particular brand of oil you choose.

I don't think so. Lots of the contaminents that build up are a result of chemical and heat reactions that simply don't occur with synthetics.

MOST people are throwing away gallons of perfectly good oil every year.

Millions of barrels overall.

the change interval DOES increase. :smirk:

I don't think so. Lots of the contaminents that build up are a result of chemical and heat reactions that simply don't occur with synthetics.

MOST people are throwing away gallons of perfectly good oil every year.

Millions of barrels overall.

the change interval DOES increase. :smirk:

Exactly why I run a decent grade of oil (usually semi-synt) and change every 4 hours. I honestly don't see the point in wasting money on the high end oils if frequent changes are the order of the day. :smirk:

10w30 is a good all around weight to run. 20w50, in my opinion, is too thick to run in the XRLs because shifting up or down seems to require a little more input, and the oil pump gets pretty loud when the oil is completely cold, just my experience. the FSM recommends 10w30 and 10w40 for warmer weather.

hmm. maybe ill stick with what I am using the cheap dino rotella 2k changes.