Sign in to follow this  

front axle

kind of hard to explain but is the front axle supposed to be flush with the fork on ther side that doesnt have the nut on it. i cant seem to remember if its flush or sticks out a bit because i couldnt get it through enough for it to be flush wonder if i put it on wrong

just took the front wheel off my 08 and the axle was sticking out like 3/4''.. or enough for the nut to thread then a little bit more

thanks. ive rode it for about an hour with it sticking out about 1/8 inch i dont think it would have done anything to the bearings but i am also think since when i put it on and the axle didnt go all the way through something might have been put on wrong.

It's not the bearings you should worry about, it's the fork action.

Remove the axle and clean the clamp surfaces and inside the clamps with a Scotch pad. Grease the center of axle lightly, not the clamping surface. Install axle and torque the nut and disc side axle clamp. At this point you should be able to push the right side clamp in and out, but it should relax at the close to flush position. Now, with the bike on the ground, climb on and pull front brake and push up and down on the front fork several times. This will center the axle with the stroke of the fork, It may or may not be perfectly flush, but should be within about 1/16th" either way. Then torque the right clamp. This process will ensure the fork stroke will have minimal binding (stiction )

this is happening to me after i put a holeshot device on so the right fork tube was off. i lined up the forks as best i could. could this have something to do with it not going in all the way. and to be clear you say i should put the axle on and pump the front forks down and then tighten the axle?

to be clear you say i should put the axle on and pump the front forks down and then tighten the axle?

Torque the axle nut first, then the left clamp, then pump the forks down, then tighten the right clamp. What you are trying to do is get the fork slider bushings as far apart as possible. This ensures the forks are parallel and sliding through the stroke without binding. When forks are fully extended the bushings are close together and when compressed bushings are apart. Further apart the bushings are the less flex you have in the fork.

Hope I'm making sense.

i'd also like to know this.. should they both be tightened flush with the gold tube or a mm or so below flush.

i'd also like to know this.. should they both be tightened flush with the gold tube or a mm or so below flush.

That depends on how you have your suspension setup and how you want to balance stability vs. turning prowess. Raise the forks to achieve better turning and lower the forks for more stability.