keepitlow

500 Service Honda

I lust after the Bailey Works Replica... but other than being the bike of my (wet) dreams, I have yet to ride an open class two stroke

• Like 1

It is not too much of a jump from a 450. The 500 will take some getting used to on the MX track. The power will hit earlier and much harder and it won't rev out as high as the 4 stroke. Depending on the engine, it will vibrate a lot more than the 450. You will get a lot of attention with it, people like to see something different at the track.

• Like 1

It will tire you out more than the tractor, more fun too

• Like 1

ive had 250s lots theyre great on track but once ur on a big bore theres no turning back,depends on u i love open class riding up north here rolling hard pack yet u can still be king of a sunday afternoon hill climbing at the local gravel pits.500 wont ike slow trail unless u put on heavier flywhell ,i just got my first 500 and pwr is the best of both worlds in my opinon, you get low end tourque like 4 stroke and the top end hit of a 2 strokr,

just get sum good grips to soak up the vibes ,

my bikes stock besides prs suspension, and a barnett carbon fiber clutch kit that im installing a good clutch is key on the 500s.in a perfect world id love to have a nic 125 as well to throw around on a track and the 500 for the fast stuff

Stock vs stock, the 500 has more hit while the 450 has more pull. The 500 will want to flatten out on top so you'll need to short shift it. The 450 will continue pulling, well, the '08 I had did anyway.

Service Honda 500AF's come with a 39mm PWK carb which let it pull further. They also come with 14/48 gearing which also helps.

As my 4-stroke friend described of my SH 500AF, it's the "ultimate MX bike". :smirk:

• Like 1

I love the SH500AF-mine came from a second owner, his buddy had several. Mine is ported and I don't think TT would like the words that describe it  Where my CR500R would sign off this one hits and revs like a 250. For a bike with no power valve, it is amazing. I still have the low RPM performance as a typical SH. I live and ride AZ so ZR1 suspension did this bike. Its fast.

SH.jpeg

PART_1530203767465[157].jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dan Crockett said:

I love the SH500AF-mine came from a second owner, his buddy had several. Mine is ported and I don't think TT would like the words that describe it  Where my CR500R would sign off this one hits and revs like a 250. For a bike with no power valve, it is amazing. I still have the low RPM performance as a typical SH. I live and ride AZ so ZR1 suspension did this bike. Its fast.

SH.jpeg

PART_1530203767465[157].jpeg

They guy I got this from didn't know anything about it. When it was jetted right I noticed some hi revs. Thought it was the ignition and carb until I read a test. Not what I would have wanted, its actually fun. Im riding at 5500 feet mostly and I still make big power. I wonder how it will be jetted and running at sea level?

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2011 at 6:22 PM, HrcRacing said:

Stock vs stock, the 500 has more hit while the 450 has more pull. The 500 will want to flatten out on top so you'll need to short shift it. The 450 will continue pulling, well, the '08 I had did anyway.

Service Honda 500AF's come with a 39mm PWK carb which let it pull further. They also come with 14/48 gearing which also helps.

As my 4-stroke friend described of my SH 500AF, it's the "ultimate MX bike". :smirk:

How much further does a service honda pull compared to a cr500r-I read a test that made me think something was done to my SH, I can rev to about 9500rpm still pulling but I don't want to torture my engine-but it could.

You do realize this is a seven year old thread and the member you quoted, besides yourself that is, hasn't been back to the site in almost 7 years too right???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

You do realize this is a seven year old thread and the member you quote, besides yourself that is, hasn't been back to the site in almost 7 years too right???

I heard that guy is playing Bingo in a retirement home now. 😂

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

I heard that guy is playing Bingo in a retirement home now. 😂

yeah. it helps to read the date. are all of the 500AF's in that retirement home too?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

B I N G O 😂

holy joining the wrong bike forum batman!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

Just now, Dan Crockett said:

holy joining the wrong bike forum batman!!!!!!!

I'll keep this in mind for the next time I come across a 450. (450: been there, done that heavy thing too)

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dan Crockett said:

I'll keep this in mind for the next time I come across a 450. (450: been there, done that heavy thing too)

Oh and Steve, you really are a snake. A little one.

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, Dan Crockett said:

Yeah, that was confusing. Its supposed to mean that I'll pick on modern bikes and run them down, pass and roost and all that stuff, I love the new 450's but they are heavy to me. Im not good at valve adjustments or 450 rebuilds. I shouldnt be so defensive, but a lot of people have bikes like this, on TT, and most of us love em.

dcr.jpeg

Edited by Dan Crockett

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:34 PM, MentalGuru said:

You do realize this is a seven year old thread and the member you quoted, besides yourself that is, hasn't been back to the site in almost 7 years too right???

then what the @#%** is it doing here. I would think that a moderator would delete that crap instead of insulting a new member. WTF man?

8 minutes ago, Dan Crockett said:

Yeah, that was confusing. Its supposed to mean that I'll pick on modern bikes and run them down, pass and roost and all that stuff, I love the new 450's but they are heavy to me. Im not good at valve adjustments or 450 rebuilds. I should be so defensive, but a lot of people have bikes like this, on TT, and most of us love em.

dcr.jpeg

Had a 89’ CR500. Rode a 500 service Honda. 

Sorry not impressed. I sold the ported 500 when the built WR450 out climbed the viberator. 

Now 500 KTM’s rule the day. 

3 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

Had a 89’ CR500. Rode a 500 service Honda. 

Sorry not impressed. I sold the ported 500 when the built WR450 out climbed the viberator. 

Now 500 KTM’s rule the day. 

You tried one. I have an 07  crf250r frame but whatever. Do you ever mind the weight? That was my only complaint. The cr is not without any downfalls, for sure. Did that older SH you had have the suspension done? Service Hondas weren't too good. A  crf450r is around 247 lbs. not bad. (my RMX was 275+) I think you're right.