Sign in to follow this  

Bogging?

My 230 has a stock engine. This bike has never bogged when you open the thottle. I have changed nothing on the bike since last fall. I ran it several times over the winter to keep things moving.

I have checked the adjustment on the mixture screw and it is correct.

Normally this type of problem may require a needle clip adjustment on some other bike, but in the case of this bike it wouldn't be needed.

It has a new spark plug and air filter.

So what other ideas do you have as to why it is bogging when I open up the throttle?

Thanks.

Check that the pilot jet is not clogged or partially clogged. Classic symptom especially after sitting for awhile.

Once I get the pilot jet out how do I get the stuff out of it without soaking it in carb cleaner? Do I use a pin?

Once I get the pilot jet out how do I get the stuff out of it without soaking it in carb cleaner? Do I use a pin?

Aerosol spray can of carb cleaner. $1.79 at Wal-Mart. It will blast the crud out pretty quick.

Just be sure to wear eye protection, and keep your mouth closed while spraying it. Don’t ask me how I know this…..

Any piece of wire will snake it out. I usually find a piece of extension cord or anything that has thin strands in it. Pull one strand out and roto rooter out the pilot. Remove the jet first then clean it out. No need for carb cleaner or air.

Check that the pilot jet is not clogged or partially clogged. Classic symptom especially after sitting for awhile.

My experience with a cloged Pilot jet is that it won't idle?

Pilot jet looks good. If you were to be cruising at low rpm like 2,000 rpm and you quickly open the throttle all the way, does your bike fall on it's face then take off. I have a tach on mine. At 2,700 rpm and above if I open the throttle all the way quickly it will be fine and take off hard. If I open the throttle quickly under 2,700 rpm the engine falls on it's face. I don't ever remember it doing that.

So what does your bike do?

Thanks.