Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z Remembrance

Hey what’s going on guys, it’s been a while. Haven’t really been on here nearly as much as I used to be, but have popped in every now and again to see what’s up. It’s nice to see from viewing some of the threads that a lot of the regulars that I remember are still active. I often think about when I was here, made daily posts and how fun it was to talk about these bikes with you all. I think I pretty much almost knew the DRZ inside and out!:smirk:

Just kind of doing a little remembrance thing of my ‘ol Dizzer.

A year ago today I sold the DRZ. I remember the day very well, the owner who bought it and watching it go up the street. 7,300 miles and change was the number and I put just about every one of those miles on it as I bought her new. A sad day it was to see a bike that had brought so much enjoyment, new friends and many, many wonderful riding memories that I will always cherish. Yet, it was exciting at the same time because I was prepared to embark on a new relationship with a different bike. It was a decision that I had spent a lot of time on and definitely not one that I made overnight. As much as I loved it, I was ready to move up to a bigger street bike, simply put.

I have really enjoyed ownership of the Z1. It is totally different to ride than the DRZ. I bought it from the original owner with low miles in pretty much all stock condition. I have done some things to it; you can compare how it looked from when I first got it to how it looks today. I’ve put about 3k miles or so on it, and have had some good rides with it such as riding hwy 1 along the coast this past summer as well as some touring with it.

I’ve included a couple photos in remembrance of the DRZ as well as some of my current bike.

072-1.jpg

Motard010.jpg

MemorialDayWeekend0023.jpg

When I first got it.

BikePicsagain003.jpg

How it looks today.

MercerIslandRide-Feb2011003.jpg

8292010003-1.jpg

MontereyTrip1026.jpg

Z1000Photoshoot2MoneyShots073.jpg

MontereyTrip1023.jpg

Nice pics 650Man. Seeing the mountainous areas you ride through , it's gotta be a bit tough to restrict yourself to the tarmac. Cool look street bike. Though I need knobbies under me, I can appreciate the way your bike looks. Understated , yet capable.

XR 650l man... if it makes you feel better.... my riding buddy is the current owner of your old beloved DRZ. We just got in a 4 hour ride yesterday. I went with him a few months back to pick it up from a guy selling it on Craigslist. Sounds like the guy had plans of using it to commute... but it ended up just sitting in his yard shed. I think he only rode it a couple times.

My buddy originally wanted an SM version of the DRZ... but after I convinced him the bike was already dialed and ready to go with all the goodies already added... he happily bought it. Rest assured she is now in a good home! I will have to get a mileage check Sunday when we load up the dirt bikes.

Looking the dirt set up pic, did you sell the dirt wheels separately?

I am getting the bug for a bigger street oriented bike too.... but not sure I want to give up sumo fun. The KTM 690 SMC is on my radar. How is life on the Z1 working out?

XR 650l man... if it makes you feel better.... my riding buddy is the current owner of your old beloved DRZ. We just got in a 4 hour ride yesterday. I went with him a few months back to pick it up from a guy selling it on Craigslist. Sounds like the guy had plans of using it to commute... but it ended up just sitting in his yard shed. I think he only rode it a couple times.

My buddy originally wanted an SM version of the DRZ... but after I convinced him the bike was already dialed and ready to go with all the goodies already added... he happily bought it. Rest assured she is now in a good home! I will have to get a mileage check Sunday when we load up the dirt bikes.

I am getting the bug for a bigger street oriented bike too.... but not sure I want to give up sumo fun. The KTM 690 SMC is on my radar. How is life on the Z1 working out?

I see you guys are having fun :smirk: come out to the track and have some fun too :lol: and tell Josh he's a POSER for selling his again :smirk:

---------

Hey Austin,

You need another one :prof:

Oh wow, that's pretty cool. If I may say, he got a good one!:smirk: Is it still pretty much the same as it looks in the pic? Be fun to hear about it. When I sold it, I did not 'part it out' or sell any of the aftermarket parts I put on it.

I took really good care of that bike. It never had been down ever and always had a fresh coat of wax on the tank and plastics. Maintained it very well too, always changed the oil 1k or less and it always came out looking as clean as the fresh 15w-50 weight $$$ synthetic I'd put in it.

Yeah, I actually traded the dual sport wheels for the sm wheel set a few months before I sold it. When I got 17"s, they had literally brand new Avon Distanzias mounted and were free of scratches.

It is a good bike.

How is life on the Z1 working out?

It has been a lot of fun. I like the riding postion as it's a single handlebar and very upright as I am accustomed to that riding position. I do miss being able to hop a curb and such though, you are definitely not doing those types of shenanigans with something like this and sometimes I wish I had something more that could do that. I'm thinking a Hypermotard or Dorsoduro is next up, but I plan to enjoy this one for a while yet. I like the power that's it got and shooting out of the corners is fun, but to really open it up, you have to be out of the city. When riding it around in stop-in-go traffic, it feels like it's being quite restrained and wanting to be unleashed. When you through a leg over it, it feels on the heavy side, but once you get going, it feels quite light a flickable. It is a fun bike to ride that can handle a day trip well, not strain your body and doesn't get blown around on the freeway, only your head does but that's how all unfaired bikes are.

Both different types of bikes have their pluses and minuses, ideally, it would be best to have one of each in the garage.

Edited by 1999xr650lman

glad to hear your still on two wheels. better then nothing at all right;)

im sure you'll get the itch again and come back to the darkside of the motorcycle world....

cheers logan