Sign in to follow this  

Squeezing with Knees!

I have the same problem. I am 6'8 with long legs and when I started I had to squeeze with my ankles. I have moved my bars up, which helps quite a bit becuase it gets my weight onto my legs rather than arms. I bought a tall seat recently, so I am hoping that gives me a little bit more to squeeze.

I am anxious to see what responses you get. Its tought to have the seat only come halfway up your shins!

a lot of tall guys like tall seats, i tried one for a couple trips to the track and went back to the stock seat. I learned to grib with the inside of my ankles/boot.

6'4" here. I put on a SDG tall seat last year which helped some. I would say it makes it easier to transition from sitting to standing. Knees still clear it standing though. It's better, but not perfect.

UPS is in process of getting my RC High bars here now! Some guys add bar risers and lower the pegs too.

I recently bought Gaerne SG-10 boots which makes it easier to grip frame with the lower leg. :smirk:

I'm in the same boat, I tend to squeeze through the boots and not so much with the legs. Occasionally in spots I'll use the knees to grab the bike but most of the time I let it move while holding on with the feet. I also find that I prefer lower bars rather than risers, because it forces me to crouch down when standing, which I have to do to get my mass centralized on the bike. If I stand straight up I can't go fast at all. Also the lower bars make cornering so much easier.

I actually bought a Husqvarna partially because they are big bikes, both long and tall :-)

I'm in the same boat, I tend to squeeze through the boots and not so much with the legs. Occasionally in spots I'll use the knees to grab the bike but most of the time I let it move while holding on with the feet. I also find that I prefer lower bars rather than risers, because it forces me to crouch down when standing, which I have to do to get my mass centralized on the bike. If I stand straight up I can't go fast at all. Also the lower bars make cornering so much easier.

I actually bought a Husqvarna partially because they are big bikes, both long and tall :-)

Spot on! Took me years to figure this out. Just cause I'm a tall lanky dude

I figured, bar risers, bars forward, tall seat.... WRONG!

I'm 6'2 and spend alot of time racing and riding MX Tracks (and trails every here and there), but I've had terrible luck with taller seats, higher bars, lower pegs, etc. I felt any one of them just murdered the cornering ability of my bike. How I "squeeze" the bike is by bending my knees semi-aggressively (butt sticking out), which allows my knees to squeeze where the shrouds really start to bulge out. Admittedly, my shins are still doing 70% of the squeezing, but it's comforting having the extra control. Most riding-technique coaches want your butt sticking out a certain distance anyway for more control of the rear end of the bike.

I'm 6'2 and spend alot of time racing and riding MX Tracks (and trails every here and there), but I've had terrible luck with taller seats, higher bars, lower pegs, etc. I felt any one of them just murdered the cornering ability of my bike. How I "squeeze" the bike is by bending my knees semi-aggressively (butt sticking out), which allows my knees to squeeze where the shrouds really start to bulge out. Admittedly, my shins are still doing 70% of the squeezing, but it's comforting having the extra control. Most riding-technique coaches want your butt sticking out a certain distance anyway for more control of the rear end of the bike.

So are you running pretty much stock settings as far as seat, bars, and pegs?

You should be squeezing at lowest centre of gravity which means squeezing with ankles more, not knees.. stand on balls of feet toes turned in and grip with ankles