My cheap quick XR650L taillight mount

Stock taillight, some 16ga mild steel sheet.

The strip down the fender is bolted under the toolbag (1 bolt) and the 2 bolts at the end of the fender where the stock assembly mounts.

The rest of the assembly bolts on with 4 nylon 1/4-20 bolts.

There are 2 rubber pieces between the mount and the taillight, and I just wrapped the bulb socket with rubber tape.

tlDSC05271.jpg?t=1305920856

tlDSC05269.jpg?t=1305920857

The grab bar (a commercially available item) mounts at the turn signals (needed longer bolts, used 1/4-20) and 1 bolt under the tool kit.

Dave

Don't exactly remember for sure(i'm 70 now)? but chopped up the stock tail light & mount, hack saw, & Mickey Moused this together!

I'm 75 and my eye's are getting bad, I think I miss that the most.

I can lay a wrench down right in front of me and can't find it and I lose my keys all the time too..I also can't remember if I had sex in the last 10 years.:prof:

Probably haven't though...?

The taillight itself acts like a pendulum, it's resonant frequency is way too low for it to vibrate sympathetically with the engine pulses, and I think the rubber between the mount and the taillight sucks up some of the energy.

The long strip is only mounted at the ends, and the taillight bolts to it a bit to the rear of center, but close enough to center that the whole strip can rock a bit.

I *think* all the flexing will be below, what is it, the ductile limit? so it should be able to rock on for a while before fatiguing.

But, finding out is half the fun.

I could have made it from sheet aluminum, but Al has a very definite fatigue limit, and would have failed much faster.

I have seen some nice ones cobbled from the stock bits, but was reluctant to cut them up. I have piles of 16ga sheet so of course everything I make gets made out of it.

Dave

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...