Sign in to follow this  

2006 TE510 rear brake problem

Hey guys,

I would appreciate any thoughts here on this rear brake problem I am having.

I bought after market rear brake pads for my bike and they are the right size in that when you line them up against the originals, they match. However they seem to be too thick. It was a huge effort to get them installed and now the rear wheel is not spinning freely when the bike is on the stand. Is there any remedy to this situation?. When I took it for a test ride, the brakes began to fade after a few miles and the rear disc was sizzling hot. Are these simply the wrong pads or is there some adjustment I'm missing? The bike is new to me.

Thanks for any help!

What pads did you buy? You could trying sanding them down a bit to simulate more wear so that they have enough space to clear the rotor when in a neutral braking position. Also, have you checked that the rear brake lever isn't binding and causing it to brake?

Try bleeding your rear brakes. New pads are generally thicker, the caliper has been running with thinner pads for a while, could be a tiny bit of corrosion on the piston also from running in a more outward position. Examine thoroughly.

Thx for the replies. Ok, problem solved. I wasn't aware the the rear caliper can be manipulated slightly to the left and right. I did this with a giant pair of channel lock pliers. I gripped the caliper at the front and by squeezing the pliers was able to reposition the caliper to a point where it would accept the thickness of the pads as well as let the rear wheel spin freely. Who knew??

The caliper is suppose to move freely from side to side. Definitely should not need pliers to move it.:smirk: Time to do some maintenance and grease the thing.

The caliper is suppose to move freely from side to side. Definitely should not need pliers to move it.:smirk: Time to do some maintenance and grease the thing.

Maybe not since the rear disk is a floating unit. But caliper pistons often need a little persuasion to get completely seated when changing to new (thicker) pads.

I can't say for sure & would definitely ask some one with experience in these units

George at Uptite would be my first choice.

The caliper is on slide pins. If you push the brake pad piston in all the way you should be able to slide the caliper left and right a 1/4" at least. If the caliper does not move freely left to right then the slide pins are locked up and you are only likely getting half the braking pressure. If it got hot and faded I would be lubing the pins.

Get a good look at an exploded view of the caliper and it will make sense.