Helmet Camera Concern

I want to get a helmet camera to record some of my trail riding. It seems like the GoPro is the way to go but i have a bit of a concern.

I ride in NY on mostly single track. On many of the trails i often have to duck below brush and branches that are across the trails. I am concerned that due to the size it will get snagged on a branch as i blow by and rip the camera off of my helmet.

All input, experiences, or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Could you mount it to the side of your helmet, or another piece of gear? I was looking at GoPro's site and they seem to have a bunch of different accesories for bar/helmet/surface/etc mounting

Could you mount it to the side of your helmet, or another piece of gear? I was looking at GoPro's site and they seem to have a bunch of different accesories for bar/helmet/surface/etc mounting

I saw that option also. I would feel more comfortable with that mount but still concerned. The Contour cameras seemed nice also but didnt seem to receive the reviews that the GoPro did.

I have a Contour, mostly for that reason. The top of my helmets take some serious branch abuse, I haven't had an issue with the goggle-mounted contour.

You can mount it upside down under the visor, or like I do, on the chin bar vent. With it there, it's out of harms way (unless you do a face plant). Any branch that will knock the camera off will take your head with it.

Go Pro also has chest straps. I love mine, great customer service too. I left the USB cable in mine and bent the tabs. I talked to GoPro and sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one! :smirk:

Go Pro also has chest straps. I love mine, great customer service too. I left the USB cable in mine and bent the tabs. I talked to GoPro and sent it to them and they sent me a brand new one! :smirk:

How do the chest straps work out when wearing a chest protector. Also, is any of the shot blocked? I would be concerned having to constantly adjust it. thanks.

chest mount, the gopro comes with a mount plate in the box, hack saw it and drill some holes and zip tie it to your chest protector

I hate running a helmetcam on my helmet in the woods, damn things try to kill me with vines and branches

I'm running the Tachyon XC Micro, got it mounted to the side of my helmet at the jaw line, love it! Light wait, easy to use, and slimlined where branches don't catch it, great video quality as well.

I'm running the Tachyon XC Micro, got it mounted to the side of my helmet at the jaw line, love it! Light wait, easy to use, and slimlined where branches don't catch it, great video quality as well.

That is a pretty cool little camera as well. Not as many mounting options as the GoPro or Contour but the price is absolutely the lowest compared to the other models.

X2 on the wrist mount strapped to chin bar. it works great.

does seem to be an excellent option.

those are pretty cool too.

wow 145 $ for the 960p

they charge back the difference in shipping though :smirk:

I'm constantly bashing branches with my helmet and never an issue with the top mount. It might knock the camera up on the hinge so it points to far up, but amazingly stays on.

I'm constantly bashing branches with my helmet and never an issue with the top mount. It might knock the camera up on the hinge so it points to far up, but amazingly stays on.

we have vines here, and most trails are cut so you just barely miss them

when I tried a helmetcam on top, it was not pretty, lasted about 3 turns until it tried to kill me

I'm running a Motrax Kwik Cam and have it mounted under my visor above my goggles. Pics are as good as any without the large heavy weight of the GoPro hanging off on a side or above. Uses 3 AAA batts. I use a card that will record for an hour, but it will take one the will record 2. Works great.

i have the gopro on both sides of my helmet on top, on the bars, wrist, chest, its a great camera and will not pull off the mounts they give u r rediculously sticky, and the actual mount from the case to the sticky is strong, t will not get ripped off. get a grab bag of mounts cuz ull have them everywhere soon, i even got a suction cup for my friends camaro and let him use it when he goes to drag