Sign in to follow this  

13oz flywheel weight on 08crf450 for woods = SWEET

Just got done with 2.9 hrs today, 2.5 yesterday after installing a trail tech 13oz flywheel weight. The 08 crf450 motor seemed to have less "ass" to it on decel than my 04crf450 and come to find out, Honda went with a lighter balancer for 08. Not sure if that was all of it, or the narrower head pipe, or just the fact my 08 doesn't have 1000hrs on it like the o4.. The 08 also has a sensor that changes the timing or something depending on what gear your in (can see the sensor by the shift lever..). I think it softens the "hit" in lower gears..as it really does not have the "ass" the 04 does when your in a very low rpm in lower gears (you mx guys don't have this issue..but we woods riders do :smirk: ).

Talked with teh Trail Tech "tech" before purchasing a fww, and he recomended for the harescrambles that are pretty fast here in FL, no more than 13oz. The bigger fww also requires a slight grinding or mod of the case as it is pretty big.

Anyway, this 08 starts easy already, but starts even easier with the hfww, and there was some benefit noticed when going over obsticals, especially felled logs. I find im also able to drag the rear brake harder in a turn without having to pull the clutch in every time like i used to for fear of stalling.. Again, never really had an issue with stalling, and i have no want for a Recluse or other auto clutch, but the fww does seem to benefit woods riding. Was glad i went with this size and not a bigger one i think. Got the flywheel puller from them too so ya don't kill the oil hole on the end of the crank. Install took literally 20 minutes at MOST. Put a wood handle hammer in the sprocket (steel one) to brace against the swingarm when torquing the fw nut to 47lbs.

Thanks for the input, I have a 08 also and noticed the same thing in our off road races here in Texas, I loved my 04, but the 08 is very sweet. guess I need to make it better in the woods with a fww.

Thanks for the input, I have a 08 also and noticed the same thing in our off road races here in Texas, I loved my 04, but the 08 is very sweet. guess I need to make it better in the woods with a fww.

wow, we have exactly the same 2 bikes..! 04-08. The diff in the motors was noticeable right away on the 08, and i have an 08 HEAD on my 04! The 08 motor just ramps right up rev wise, and on decel, it goes right down in rpm's too.. like the motor is "light".. Much the way buiding a "light-switch" road race motor is done, very light, but very fast reving (sometimes not as easy to ride!). I could not understand why the power "hit" was subdued in lower gears, but then noticed and read about the gear position sensor that may retard timing?? or in some way makes the bike easi-er..to ride. Very smooth decieving power but the fww made it nice in teh woods without sacrificing some fast revs if ya want em.

Now to just ditch the .47 frork springs and get the softer mid valve done on teh Race Tech set up we have on the 08. For whatever reason, the racetech website suggested the stock .47 springs and no mid-valve modification, nor mid valve stack. On the 04 (my guy built those forks in 08 using almost identical info about my weight/ability/etc.) and it said .44 springs, and had a mid valve mod, with a mid valve stack (not sure if my terminology is right..me ridey no wrenchy). But the faster hits on the 08 forks feel MUCH harsher than on my 04..

I just got my suspension back last week from Factory Connection, and am looking foward to seeing how it works at the race sunday. I am 6'3" and 235 so i used a 50 fork springs and 6.1 shock spring, i know they changed the progressive springs and shims.

Curious if anyone has compared a flywheel weight vs. HINSON Steel Basket for comparisons sake. I've heard that a lot of people prefer the feel of the SB over FWW but I don't have any real worldexperience with either yet.

Joe

Curious if anyone has compared a flywheel weight vs. HINSON Steel Basket for comparisons sake. I've heard that a lot of people prefer the feel of the SB over FWW but I don't have any real worldexperience with either yet.

Joe

clutch basket spins no where near as fast as the FW. The FW spins as fast as the crank, the clutch bsk on the other hand.. is a VERY big gear, driven my a small drive gear off the opposite side of the crank. I as well have no personal exp. but i have yet to see anyone post that it is anywhere near equal. More mass? sure.. how much? no definitive clue, but the fw spins much faster. Even the 13oz is a definate diff over the stock fw but not a huge diff. If you were to somehow be able to calculate based on the speed the fw spins vs. the speed the basket spins, i don't see how anyone could say one "feels" better over the other. Know what i mean? It would make sense that if ya bought say a 13oz, but said.."wish i had more crank mass" you could get a steel basket the next time ya needed one.

curious , whats your weight ? .47 to .44?

Im 165, but keep in mind.. if i was racing MX or fast desert races in rolling sand .. The .47 may be ideal. I even read in some review, serious fast guys in mx may even go to .49 but im riding woods/harescrambles. 1.5-2+ hours in the woods and fields. The .47 just beats you up a bit, the rear spring isn't bad but the front .47 is a bit firm for what im doing.. We hit way more square edge bumps, skip along the tops of palmetto roots, creek crossings, etc. Some of the tight single track stuff is in 1st or maybe 2nd gear. Hitting obsticles at the slower speed with stiff springs is just brutal over a long time. It is a compromise, and there are times when you wish you had the firmer set up.. but not enough to not go down in spring rates from what mx would call for. The .44 on my 2004 is slightly on the soft side at times, especially this past race that i won. We averaged 21min per 10 mile loop with LOTS of fast sections, including the mx track that they incorporated into a portion of the course. I have a set of .44 springs that arrived today, gonna chane out ONE side..and ride it and then go from there on this 08 bike. Can't buy single springs, so have to get pairs.

bob450.. suspension is where it's at. Don't be afraid to dial it in after you try the initial settings. Talk with FC, they should have no problem helping you after the sale get things to be better.. it can never be perfect.

bob450.. suspension is where it's at. Don't be afraid to dial it in after you try the initial settings. Talk with FC, they should have no problem helping you after the sale get things to be better.. it can never be perfect.

Ya I can't wait to try it out, they have a awesome customer service they asked me to call after the second ride and let them know.

I had a suspension guy in vegas that told me " I don't care how fast your bike is, if the suspension isn't set right you will never be able to use all the power it has"

I just put the Trail Tech +17 oz flywheel in my 05'. I like it so much better for everything. I was worried because they say that mx, sand, and dunes riders should have a light flywheel. Since I mostly ride steep trails (if the snow would ever melt), a heavy flywheel is the obvious choice. But I also ride dunes and went last weekend and it was still great. I never noticed a loss of power at all. The bike performed even better, I thought and with almost no stalling. To put it in perspective the 35 oz flywheel is 2 lbs, 3 oz and is as big as you can put in a 450r unless they make it out of depleted plutonium or something. Your average little trials bike has a 7 lb flywheel and a xr650 has 10lb flywheel. So, if you are doing anything other than mx, I thing weighted flywheels are must and a better value than a rekluse.

Ya I can't wait to try it out, they have a awesome customer service they asked me to call after the second ride and let them know.

I had a suspension guy in vegas that told me " I don't care how fast your bike is, if the suspension isn't set right you will never be able to use all the power it has"

for sure, anyone that has been around race bikes (of any kind..roadrace or dirt) knows that is where money should be spent first as long as the stock motor is pretty sound. Good advice from FC too, "call after the 2nd ride".. Gives ya a chance to get used to it before you make a decision on if you like it or not.

I take back what i said... The +17 oz flywheel is too much except for just woods riding where it would be great. I think I'll sell mine and get a +9 or +11oz. I think that would be about right.

Im 165, but keep in mind.. if i was racing MX or fast desert races in rolling sand .. The .47 may be ideal. I even read in some review, serious fast guys in mx may even go to .49 but im riding woods/harescrambles. 1.5-2+ hours in the woods and fields. The .47 just beats you up a bit, the rear spring isn't bad but the front .47 is a bit firm for what im doing.. We hit way more square edge bumps, skip along the tops of palmetto roots, creek crossings, etc. Some of the tight single track stuff is in 1st or maybe 2nd gear. Hitting obsticles at the slower speed with stiff springs is just brutal over a long time. It is a compromise, and there are times when you wish you had the firmer set up.. but not enough to not go down in spring rates from what mx would call for. The .44 on my 2004 is slightly on the soft side at times, especially this past race that i won. We averaged 21min per 10 mile loop with LOTS of fast sections, including the mx track that they incorporated into a portion of the course. I have a set of .44 springs that arrived today, gonna chane out ONE side..and ride it and then go from there on this 08 bike. Can't buy single springs, so have to get pairs.

i can get you single springs. also i have some good enduro stuff we did out here. pm me if you want. it may help you.:smirk:

i can get you single springs. also i have some good enduro stuff we did out here. pm me if you want. it may help you.:smirk:

will do.

installed the big trailtech flywheel, worked okay, added a revloc dynaring, great for tight, slow trails. you can really plunk along, just twist the throttle, without any problems it goes. i've got an '08. stalled 2 times 3 hours of trail riding, all tight muddy tough stuff. i wish it would quit raining here in ohio.

Ok Melk-Man I ordered a 13oz flywheel weight today. Going off your bragging...lol

I use the +13oz as well for offroad and love it!! Still lots of snap but more controlled and definatley better for the woods.

cool! rode for years without one, but agree it helps in the woods in some areas. Can't find any negative to this point, and seems to start eaiser too? Would not have liked much more weight though.. 13oz was nice.

power is nothing without control...!!

excellent mod for a powerful woods machine.... tractability and less tiring too!!

personally , i'm faster with a flywheel weight on woods machines....!!

i put one on my full tilt boogie crf487x bike and it went from scary to awesome

Does a 13oz FWW increase the compression braking effect on a 08 in any way?

i found the motor revs down slower with the 13oz fww, making engine braking a bit less noticeable. This is why it seems easier to ride in woods and over nasty stuff like palmetto roots, drive across ruts rather than follow a deep rut, etc. When i would blip the throttle with the stock fww, rpm's would rise/fall very quickly.. now with more reciprocating mass, it comes down a tad slower (so it seems). It is just more "rideable" in woods it seems. Lighter cranks and overall engine mass has been a way to get motors to rev fast as long as there have been builders tinkering with em.. but having a "light switch" of a motor doesn't always make it easy for a rider to get around the track fast.. :smirk: