Sign in to follow this  

A little advice on an ebay deal that went bad.

Hi, I bought a frame for a MC replica I'm building that was in worse condition than the seller described. I emailed them about it and said they would issue a refund once it is back "in their hands," but I have a feeling they want me to pay for return shipping out of pocket.

I'm not too concerned at this point, because I think i can just do a charge-back through the credit card company, but I am just a little confused about who should have to pay for the return shipping. I shouldn't have to pay it, right?

They forgot to mention in the description that the frame had a hole drilled through one of the tubes of the engine cradle, I don't feel like that is my fault.

Here is a picture of the damage, this is the exhaust mount, they stripped the threads out and just drilled a hole all the way through the frame and stuck a long ugly looking bolt through:

015-5.jpg

as much as i hate it when sellers omit details like this it might be a lot cheaper and less hassle to just have a welding shop fix that issue. be sure to to mention this type of thing in the sellers feedback regardless of what you decide to do though

as much as i hate it when sellers omit details like this it might be a lot cheaper and less hassle to just have a welding shop fix that issue. be sure to to mention this type of thing in the sellers feedback regardless of what you decide to do though

I'm a welder by trade, if I wanted to I would step into the garage and have it fixed in 10 minutes, I don't think it will be to hard for me to get a refund through the credit card company so that's not really an issue here either.

I guess what I'm really asking is; is it an ******* move for me to expect the seller to pay return shipping?

what i have done in the past is gotten partial refunds from the sellers for mis described items. in you case you could say .5 hrs labor at $60 and hour to fix the omitted detail so you want a $30 refund or you will start a dispute with ebay. they will often just take the "easy way out instead of going through he dispute process.

For an example i once bought some aluminum stick welding electrodes; 40 lbs at an very low price just to find that they were for tig welding. i checked what they were selling for and demanded that the shipping charge be refunded so i could sell these useless tig rods with out loosing money.

but to answer your last question in my opinion no its not a bad move but the seller will probably fight it especially if the seller says "buyer pays return shipping" in the returns policy

If the AD was misleading, like they claimed it was in far better condition, I would bring it up and hit them with a load of negative feedback if they did nothing about it.

If the AD said the frame was in good condition, that might have meant functional, so you might be hosed there.

Either way I would bring it up. Next time ask for a dozen more pics.

Dispute your claim through your C/C co and waite for the saler to call you. Tell him you'd gladly return it just as soon as he supplied shipping and a box to fit it in.....

If the AD was misleading, like they claimed it was in far better condition, I would bring it up and hit them with a load of negative feedback if they did nothing about it.

If the AD said the frame was in good condition, that might have meant functional, so you might be hosed there.

Either way I would bring it up. Next time ask for a dozen more pics.

having a 5/16" hole drilled completely through the frame would be worth mentioning, i would hope. the ad said "it has some dings on bottom rails," which was also misleading, as one of the tubes is what i would call "crushed," not "dinged." but of course that was the side that wasn't showing in his picture.

here is what i asked him:

"hi, can i get a close up picture of the bottom rails, is there any damage to the frame at all? are all of the threads in the frame good?

thanks, brian."

here was his reply:

"frame is good except for scrapes and dings in bottom rails thanks"

Dispute your claim through your C/C co and waite for the saler to call you. Tell him you'd gladly return it just as soon as he supplied shipping and a box to fit it in.....

you must have been through this too, because that's exactly what i did.

Ebay is awesome! I've gotten 100 good deals for every one that isn't so good.

What we have here is a misrepresented description, which is intentionally fraudulent by the seller. Ebay doesn't have any control over who signs up to use their system. They have provisions for dealing with this, but it's often just as harmful for the buyer.

If you give negative feedback, you are screwed. You will get it back, and right or wrong, you are now a tainted user. Think long and hard before you do that.

I have a couple of eBay listings going on right now and I noticed when I created the auctions (at the bottom) it allowed me to specify whether the buyer or seller would pay shipping if the item was returned. If you click 'Read Details' next to 'Returns' you will see for example 'The buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.' in small print. Not exactly obvious but it is in there. So probably a good idea to read that stuff before bidding on big items like a frame etc...

well ebay ended up giving me a refund. the seller was totally worthless. his ebay name is xtreme-motors-08. avoid this guy.

in all the frame ended up having: the hole drilled in it, rear brake pedal mounting bolt was broke off in its hole, and the threads for exhaust pipe mount completely gone.

this is why I always put "as is, no returns accepted" in my ads but I also take alot of pictures and give a good description so people know exactly what they are getting

this is why I always put "as is, no returns accepted" in my ads but I also take alot of pictures and give a good description so people know exactly what they are getting

yeah, and you probably don't sell worn out damaged junk and then lie when someone asks you if it has any damage. and besides, this seller had something saying they DID infact have a return policy.

i should have walked away when he "never got around to snapping those pics" but in the few pics i had to work with this frame actually looked better than the other one.

oh well, i am just glad that pos didn't get to keep my money.

anyone got a CLEAN 93 cr250 frame for sale? :ride:

Ebay is awesome! I've gotten 100 good deals for every one that isn't so good.

What we have here is a misrepresented description, which is intentionally fraudulent by the seller. Ebay doesn't have any control over who signs up to use their system. They have provisions for dealing with this, but it's often just as harmful for the buyer.

If you give negative feedback, you are screwed. You will get it back, and right or wrong, you are now a tainted user. Think long and hard before you do that.

Unless they changed it backed, buyers can't get negative feedback anymore.

thats my understanding also:thumbsup:

yes, that's right. i had to look it up before i actually left the guy feedback though as i wasn't sure.

buyers can only leave positive feedback on a seller.