Sign in to follow this  

Calling all 2 Stroke Pro's

I'm beeting my head against a wall on this 96 Gas Gas pampera 250 2 Stroke. The bike won't start. It was running down the road and just died. The bike has spark and fuel is getting into the carb butt the plug is dry as a bone. I pulled the cylider and it looks great. The rings are in tact anad there is compression. I don'tt know how much compression there should be. I kicked it through once and got as much as 30lbs. Is that enough or is the even the proper way to check compression? I wonder if there isn't enough compression to draw fuel into the cylider chamber. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

to check copression ,hold throttle wide open an then kick it over as many times as needed till you get the highest reading.have you tried putting some gas through plug hole to see if it starts.if so youre not getting gas from the carb,then you need to get into the carb.

Kawie

CaveMike want invent gun, shoot self in face after reading post. seriously. literacy. real thing. aspire to it.

CaveMike maaaybe u shood

4 being an anal *********.

:smirk::lol::smirk::prof:

CaveMike want invent gun, shoot self in face after reading post. seriously. literacy. real thing. aspire to it.

Thanks for your input Captain &%$#@!. I hope your riding skills make up for your Congeniality. Seriously pull the trigger already.:smirk:

to check copression ,hold throttle wide open an then kick it over as many times as needed till you get the highest reading.have you tried putting some gas through plug hole to see if it starts.if so youre not getting gas from the carb,then you need to get into the carb.

Kawie

Funny Kawie. Just before I read your post I thought about squirting some gas into the plug hole and trying to start it. Thanks, I'm going to try it. Do you know if the reeds can just stop allowing fuel to enter the cylider?

If gas gets into the carb but doesn't get further, that must tell you something...

So enough with the drama and maybe this or that ideas.

Firts do a proper Compression check. get a gauge, hold throttle wide open and kick 5-7 times to get your highest reading. Suggested to do it 2 or 3 times and average it up.

If the compression is under 140 or so, it's getting pretty weak. If over, then check the reeds. They could be weak, cracked or all out broken.

Edited by SAPPERS

When I was last in it I checked and cleaned the jets, checked the float, and all seemed fine. Put it all back together and still nothing. I did not check the reeds. I will do that in the morning. Also I will dribble some gas in the spark plug hole and see if it fires.

Thanks

After checking the reeds and determining that they are good I pulled the cylider again. I found that the small piston ring (there is two) was not moving freely on the piston and was actually wedged into the slot. After doing more research and getting in touch with someone who knows the bike (finally) it seems that the cylider wasn't reaching the proper compression levels needed to pull in fuel and air properly. Likely because the piston rings weren't seating properly. I am going to order the appropriate parts and will update this thread when I get it all back together. I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks for the help guy's.

PUV