Sign in to follow this  

Plastic repairs

i recently had a pretty serious fall, im all good now, bike is running and still loving riding. That being said.. the bike is running but has a few battle wounds. i was wondering if anyone had some advice for me on how to repair the scratches on my plastics. they are from skidding across dirt and arnt bad to the extent that there is a hole in them or anything. i was also wondering if i just sanded it down and stuck a graphics kit over it, would it last? and would it still look good? any advice would be appreciated :smirk: :smirk:

I have a few scratches and what I have done was take a sharp razor blade and scraped or trimmed off any of the plastic burrs that usually stick out from a scratch. Hard to explain without a pic but if you rub your hand over the gouge you can feel some of the plastic ridge sticking up, anyways, trim that off and it makes it look some what better. It doesn't make it look like new just a little better. Like you said earlier you can cover with graphics. Do not sand them down or you'll leave abrasive marks on the soft plastic

It's a dirt bike, it is going to get scratched. Happens to everyone. If you are that concerned with the way your plastics look, keep a spare set of plastics that you use for riding and a set that you use for show and tell. :smirk:

I like my bike to look as good as it runs even if Im the only one who cares how it looks.

if the fenders are scratched bad I would just buy a new front or rear. I have shaved off excess plastic around the edges of a scratch with a razor blade like stated above.

if the side panels, number plate or shrouds get scratched I would knock down the rough edges and apply a numberplate background that I cut from some scrap vinyl.

fill in scratched graphics with scrap vinyl or sharpie. wipe bike down with silicon protectant and watch her shine.

I haven't tried this myself but, applying heat with a heat gun to slightly melt the ridges and have them fuse back together may work. just make sure it's clean first or you will weld sand/dirt/crap and corruption into your plastics.

I like my bike to look as good as it runs even if Im the only one who cares how it looks.

if the fenders are scratched bad I would just buy a new front or rear. I have shaved off excess plastic around the edges of a scratch with a razor blade like stated above.

if the side panels, number plate or shrouds get scratched I would knock down the rough edges and apply a numberplate background that I cut from some scrap vinyl.

fill in scratched graphics with scrap vinyl or sharpie. wipe bike down with silicon protectant and watch her shine.

I on the other hand abuse my bike every ride and put cosmetics last haha!

Thanx for all the help :smirk: i used a blade to get the worst of the edges off then stuck a geico graphics kit on :prof: she looks like a babe again. it always feels good to ride something that looks good even if no one else cares haha. thanx again :smirk: