Sign in to follow this  

frozen chain adjuster

I just got a 2000 CR250 and the chain adjuster bolt is frozen. I have read in this forum to use heat to loosen it. My question is do I heat the bolt or swingarm? I would think heating the bolt would make it softer and easier to break. Heating the swingarm would cause it to expand, loosening the bolt? :smirk:

Heat the swingarm. You can also spray some pb blaster in the drain holes at the back/bottom of the swingarm if it has them. I would just be careful doing that if you use heat so you don't end up with a fire.

Patience is the key to getting it out without breaking it. Use PB Blaster on it, then wait at least overnight before you touch it. Use more PB Blaster, then see if you can get any movement on the bolt, in or out. Never use too much force, just use lots of PB blaster then wait another day before attempting to move the bolt again. Work it in and out again slowly. If it's still finding resistance, continue to allow the PB Blaster to soak overnight. Even the worst seized bolts will come out after a few days if you are patient and don't try to force the bolt out too fast.

• Like 1

i don;t think its possible to heat the swing arm without heating the bolt to .

Patience is the key to getting it out without breaking it. Use PB Blaster on it, then wait at least overnight before you touch it. Use more PB Blaster, then see if you can get any movement on the bolt, in or out. Never use too much force, just use lots of PB blaster then wait another day before attempting to move the bolt again. Work it in and out again slowly. If it's still finding resistance, continue to allow the PB Blaster to soak overnight. Even the worst seized bolts will come out after a few days if you are patient and don't try to force the bolt out too fast.

+1 you can speed this up by removing the rear wheel and swing arm from the bike and prop it up against a wall so gravity helps the p.b blaster move in

yea do everything you can NOT to break the bolt. Its real easy to. I broke mine off. So i went to the hardware store and bought a brand new drill bit started drilling out the bolt and "SNAP" the drill bit broke. I was screwed. Ended up going online and buying adjustment blocks that puts the adjustment on the back of the swingarm. I would shoot you the links but i cant remember the name of the guy that made them(real small personal shop)

Bottom line do what the guys are saying take your time, I would even go so far to drill a small hole at the bottom of the swingarm so you can spray pb blaster on the backside/inside of the bolt.