Sign in to follow this  

Questions about replacing chain slipper with roller

After reading a couple threads about replacing the chain slipper with a roller, I went and got a large Moose roller ( 42 or 43 mm.dia.) at my local shop, but the bolt is too large to fit through the hole in the frame. Should I drill the hole in the frame a little bigger? Or should I just get a smaller diameter bolt ? I would think the sealed bearings in the rollers would be damaged after banging around a while with a smaller bolt. But, there's not a whole lot of extra metal around the hole where I'd be drilling, so I didn't want to do anything without checking first.

Any advice much appreciated.........

BTW, I'm always confusing "slipper" and "slider",so just in case, I'm refering to the block of rubber just behind and below the drive sprocket. :smirk:

I drilled mine out to 8mm and added a roller. I spaced it away from the rame with a washer or two. I like the setup and will continue to run it. No chain slap issues.

might use a smaller bolt and a bushing for the roller. Lowes has a descent selection of bushings.

Good info, thanks guys. I think I'll try the smaller bolt & bushing, first, before doing any surgery.

One other question.......are there any issues with the roller staying properly in place? There's very little support around the bolt ( being inserted through a thin,flat piece sticking off the frame), and since it (presumably) can't be completely tightened down very tight,it seems that it would kind of sag under the weight of the chain, with the lower half of the roller grinding against the frame. That make any sense?

Iv'e never dealt with a roller setup before soo....

But if somebody would like to chime in; The one concern I would have is the bushing turning on the bolt and not quite letting the roller do its job properly.

And wearing the bolt wrong. I dont' know if your roller has bearings or just basically rolls on the bolt anyhow.

..... The one concern I would have is the bushing turning on the bolt and not quite letting the roller do its job properly.

And wearing the bolt wrong. I dont' know if your roller has bearings or just basically rolls on the bolt anyhow.

That's a good point about the bushing wearing on the bolt,I hadn't considered that. After looking at the hole again, it doesn't need to be enlargened a whole lot, I'm reconsidering drilling.

The roller I have does have sealed bearings. The thing is basically a polyurethane skateboard wheel LOL !!

Are you gus talking about the R model? Because my XRL doesn't have a chain roller.

The sooner they make a 650R section and 650L section the better :smirk:

I drilled mine out to 8mm and added a roller. I spaced it away from the rame with a washer or two. I like the setup and will continue to run it. No chain slap issues.

+1:thumbsup:

That thread deals with the lower chain guide, mounted on the swingarm just before the rear sprocket. The OP is talking about a rubbing block mounted on the frame which supports the chain after it exits the c/s sprocket. It is called a "chain slipper," part #7 in this OEM parts fiche:

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=191373&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1996&fveh=4318

I'm also looking to install a roller in place of this slipper on one of my bikes.

I suggest you enlarge the hole to 5/16-inch instead of adding a bushing. :prof: I substituted a chain roller for my "chain slipper" about 6,000 miles ago, and it is working great. :smirk:

Spud :smirk: