Sign in to follow this  

Slack on bottom of chain?

so I am trying to get the bike ready for tomorrow and i noticed theres a ton of slack on the bottom of my chain and only a little on the top. I feel kind of stupid not knowing why its doing this but i really need some help here. thanks

Slack is slack. I don't think it matters where it's at. As long as you can fit 3 fingers in there, I can't imagine it would make a difference.

so I am trying to get the bike ready for tomorrow and i noticed theres a ton of slack on the bottom of my chain and only a little on the top. I feel kind of stupid not knowing why its doing this but i really need some help here. thanks

Really :smirk:

I think it's called gravity.

Nooooooo :smirk:

really :smirk:
i think it's called gravity.

hahahaha

Put it in gear, roll the bike forward untill all the slack is out of the bottom. Now you'll notice, it's all on the top. Adjust your chain to the proper amount of slack specified for your bike.

I feel kind of stupid

Aren't you the same kid that thought your dirtbike would have great traction on snow? Maybe you should put the dirtbike away and re-enroll in elementary school, ala Billy Madison. If you win the Jeopardy game at the end you get your bike back and save your father's company.

Geez guys give the kid a break. He obviously is doing it himself and is just double checking that his setup isn't wrong. The forum is here so we can discuss and HELP each other out with our bikes, not bash and insult people because they know less then you, right? Maybe we should start handing out "signs" to internet A-holes. :smirk:

Anyways back on topic. OLHILLBILLY might be on to something there, but I've never measured my chain slack while in gear. In my experience slack is slack, at least in neutral.

I personally put my bike in neutral, set my bike on the stand, and I take my 3 middle fingers and place them on top of the swing arm in between the chain. If I can only fit 2 fingers its too tight, 4 is too loose. Adjust as needed. :smirk:

The internet is here so we can bash and insult people because they know less then you.

fixed

Oh, and you meant to say "than". Bashing and insults will come later.

I wish I could help but at 53 years old, Im still not sure if I'm supposed to wipe front to back or bow to stern!

BTW, the is only one rope on a boat and thats the bell rope. All others are called "Lines".

...Maybe we should start handing out "signs" to internet A-holes.....

Well....no-one either called or suggested the OP was an "A hole". Correct me if i'm wrong, but you were the first to use that derogatory remark. We (myself included) all learn by our mistakes. A bit of humour does no harm. :smirk:

I wish I could help but at 53 years old, Im still not sure if I'm supposed to wipe front to back or bow to stern!

BTW, the is only one rope on a boat and thats the bell rope. All others are called "Lines".

The ones that go up the mast are Halyards. :prof::smirk::smirk:

The ones that go up the mast are Halyards. :prof::smirk::smirk:

And the bow line on a dingy is called a "Painter"!

Didja know a horse has a frog?

A Speckled Trout is actually a Drum?

Waves are measured on the backside where the water level is higher than the front side?

A 4 stroke runs better with missing spokes?

:lol:

• Like 1

And the bow line on a dingy is called a "Painter"!

Didja know a horse has a frog?

A Speckled Trout is actually a Drum?

Waves are measured on the backside where the water level is higher than the front side?

A 4 stroke runs better with missing spokes?

:prof:

I dunno know about my chain, but my fork is way too stiff! :smirk:

Yeah, i'm also an old surf dude. I take it you are referring to Cynoscion nebulosus. My Grandpa (deceased) was the local blacksmith, so that answers that.

We could be friends..........:smirk:

• Like 1