Sign in to follow this  

50:1

I hate to ask such a beginner question but I just got a KDX220 and I have a friend who use to ride them quite a bit. He has told me to run a 50:1 mix rather then the 32:1. I'm a little hesitant to do this but he says it doesn't cause any problems and it really wakes up that bike. Has or is anyone doing this and if so is it safe?

If running 50:1 woke his bikes up it's because he was running rich on the jetting. Keep running what works for you and adjust the jetting accordingly.

If running 50:1 woke his bikes up it's because he was running rich on the jetting. Keep running what works for you and adjust the jetting accordingly.

That's not correct. If running lower oil content that means you now have more gas. For the same jetting, less oil always equals richer a/f ratio.

I run 32:1 in my KDX's. However, my circumstances for doing so include extreme heat (AZ desert), sustained high speeds (dual sport), and walking-your-bike singletrack riding. The little bit more on oil costs is worth the peace of mind IMO.

50:1 usually results in a hole in the piston and doesn't do you or your bike any good People may have methods to tune the bike to run at 50:1 but it's more hassle and not smart IMO

You can get by with 50:1 if you jet properly and use good 2 stroke oil, but I wouldn't.

32:1 will work fine, but unless your riding in extreme conditions like SS109, 40:1 is the prefered mix ratio. Your jetting is way more important than your pre-mix ratio, just pick an oil, pick a ratio, jet accordingly, and stick with it.

Less than 50:1 is just not enogh oil. More than 16:1 is too much oil. NOTE...If you run your motor at 25:1 it will last longer than running it at 50:1. In short, you decide.

50:1 usually results in a hole in the piston and doesn't do you or your bike any good People may have methods to tune the bike to run at 50:1 but it's more hassle and not smart IMO

BS, 50:1 will not result in a hole in your piston. the premix ratio has nothing to do with putting a hole in your piston.

where do people come up with this shit?

50:1 is fine, nothing bad will result if you use a quality oil (meaning no wally world weed wacker oil, anything bike specific is fine), having said that, i run 32:1, there are a few advantages as slight as they may be. some can justify spending twice mas much on oil, some cant.

I have three 2 stroke bikes and run 32:1 in all of them. You'll have to jet the bike correctly no matter what ratio you run. Personally, I wouldn't run 50:1.

50:1? Haha. Seriously it's a 2 stroke they need oil and at the end of the day it's your motor so lubricate it don't deprive it. 32:1 is like obeying the speed limit which is great for everyone. I wouldn't go any higher than 40:1. My 2cents.

Very informative read. I just broke in my new top end on 50:1 and I am thinking I need to change that up. I think I will go to 32:1 and start adjust my carb accordingly.

That's not correct. If running lower oil content that means you now have more gas. For the same jetting, less oil always equals richer a/f ratio.

I don't know what I was thinking. That's exactly what I meant to say. Sorry OP for the confusion!

That ratio (40-50:1) can come into play when dealing with high quality synthetic two stroke oil mixture. Don't go mixing up a batch of cheap 50:1 Kawasaki/Honda non or semi-synthetic. Your KDX would become very expensive to replate and rebuild after each cylinder-damaging ride. Get yourself some Amsoil Interceptor oil, mix it 40-50:1 and don't look back. Hope this helped (I love my KDX).

cant go wrong with 32:1 my mate had a 05 kx 250 that was run on 32:1 then he changed to 50:1 and beofre he had used the first tank up the skirt broke of his piston making a total mess of everything and it was brand new at the time only had around 15 hours

cant go wrong with 32:1 my mate had a 05 kx 250 that was run on 32:1 then he changed to 50:1 and beofre he had used the first tank up the skirt broke of his piston making a total mess of everything and it was brand new at the time only had around 15 hours

The skirt either fell of becuase the piston was sloppy in the jug or it had more like 150 hours on it

:smirk:

Some modern outboard mfgs. recommend 100:1. That must be the IC version of a dry martini. Thats kinda like letting the gascan see the oilcan, ok good enough.