Sign in to follow this  

Trailer hitch motorcycle carier

Has anyone tried one of theese hitch mount bike racks or tried to build one out of aluminum for a 300lb dirt bike ?

I have several friends who use them to haul around bikes and they work great.

Alum cracks while steel will flex........

IMO steel is better for a carrier

I had the older joe hauler all steel fully welded single carrier and it was freaking awesome. It would outlast any vehicle you would ever own.

I plan on getting a motorcycle carrier for my dirt bike aswell. What kind of vehicle do you drive? I'll probably hook mine up to my sedan. It can take it!

I have a Joe Hauler steel/angle iron one. It is fantastic- very stable too. My 4Runner has a V8 and stiffer springs and shocks from a FJ Cruiser so I can hardly feel the difference with it and my moto back there. With stock suspension on a 4Runner, XTerra, etc., expect a bit of rear-end sagging, but nothing too bad. Just be careful and turn slower.

http://s398.photobucket.com/albums/pp68/FlyerPics/?action=view&current=KTMHauler.jpg

I can not imagine what a hitch hauler will do to the handling of a car. I have used it on full size Silverado & Tahoe trucks and the weight/leverage makes the front end push.

Alum cracks while steel will flex........

IMO steel is better for a carrier

I have about 7 years on my all alum. carrier. Nary a crack or any signs of trouble. Mostly b/c it's built right.

http://sargeindustries.com/product_info.php?products_id=29

I know the owner, Mitch. By day he works for a high end motorcoach builder. His brothers, all geeky engineers for names like Micron & Intel designed & tested it and he, with his mad fab skills builds them. SMALL company, not cheap, but built to last. :smirk:

Oh, and it's not a boat anchor like competitive steel units. I can pick up up with one arm. I would be concerned w/ cheap Chinese knockoffs however.

I can not imagine what a hitch hauler will do to the handling of a car. I have used it on full size Silverado & Tahoe trucks and the weight/leverage makes the front end push.

I have a 2001 Tahoe LT 4X4 and it it turns fine. I'm a leadfoot and I've never been concerned about any ill affects on handling of the truck. If your trucks are pushing, either you're pushing harder than me or you need some suspension work. :smirk:

I have a 96 dodge ram 2500, I put a camper on it, I have a trailer hitch front and back and I'd like to put the rack on the front !

Actually due to shipping costs on theese things I think I am going to design and make one seeing that I have plenty of resources !

I have a 2001 Tahoe LT 4X4 and it it turns fine. I'm a leadfoot and I've never been concerned about any ill affects on handling of the truck. If your trucks are pushing, either you're pushing harder than me or you need some suspension work. :smirk:

Both my trucks were 2 wheel drive........Not much need for a 4x4 here in the South. Could be the 4x4 has stiffer suspension...... or I just have more of a feel for what my vehicles are doing.....and I do tend to fly low.

4X4 is heavier and has a higher tow rating. But, it's still coils in the back and torsion in the front. Who knows. But, I do drive hard and don't back off much with the carrier out back. P metric tires too.

Oh, and it's not a boat anchor like competitive steel units. I can pick up up with one arm. I would be concerned w/ cheap Chinese knockoffs however.

My Joe Hauler is a solid, strong unit, but some days I swear it's heavier than my bike is.

4X4 is heavier and has a higher tow rating. But, it's still coils in the back and torsion in the front. Who knows. But, I do drive hard and don't back off much with the carrier out back. P metric tires too.

Usually it's the other way around....4x4 is heavier and has a lower towing rating (all things being similar-engine, trans, gearing, etc).

The extra weight of the 4x4 cuts into the GCWR, and thus the tow capacity.

I have had my Joe Hauler for going on 7 years. Use it on my 1/2 ton chevy 4x with no problems at all.:smirk:

Replacing the stock LT tires with Load range "e" (Michelin LTX) made a big difference in how my 1/2 ton truck now handles with the weight of the bike on my hitch hauler. IT's like now, the truck doesn't even know the bike's back there. Try it...:smirk:

Both of my trucks had Michelins on them......great tires that last for ever! Going 2 pounds over the suggested air pressure helps.