What to carry

California

I posted up on the D37 website about this topic, but I was wondering what all you experienced desert racers out there carry in your pack. I think I need to cut down what I carry in a race. Thanks!

Colt 1911 side holstered.

:smirk:

Not nearly as much as I carry on a play ride. I've finished races on a flat tire, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stop to change one.

I've got two packs I carry:

My camel back, which has my water bladder, first aid kit, tow rope, a few energy bars, sun screen, etc...

And my tool best, which has tubes, spoons, a few choice spare parts and WAY too many hand tools.

When I race, I throw a couple of wrenches & zip-ties in my camel back and ditch the (damn heavy) tool belt.

I know some guys who don't even carry water when they race...

Ill be dammed if anyone tries to pass me lol

Go to the 450X forum and do a search. Loooong thread with pics.

I had a relatively short desert racing career but I will share what I carry/carried. Water, a Motion Pro multi tool (really nice but pricey), zipties, duct tape, a power bar, energy gel, and a master link for my chain (hoping I could bum a chain tool off of someone else:lol:). I have had the pleasure of being broken down in the 100+ degree heat for 4 or 5 hours so the little bit of food was nice. I was on course at 9:10AM and rolled in to camp at 7:30PM:banana: If you ride early in an enduro it is a long wait all of the riders to roll through and have to wait for sweep.

Edited by jfgjr

Not I. The only time I wear a Camelback is at an enduro where we have time at the resets. During a GP or desert race, if I am thirsty, it tells me to go faster to get back to the pits sooner for a beer.

I have had the pleasure of being broken down in the 100+ degree heat for 4 or 5 hours so the little bit of food was nice. I was on course at 9:10AM and rolled in to camp at 7:30PM.

You think it sucked being out there? How about being at camp waiting for you???:smirk:

I have a tool belt now that has a hip pocket that will fit a little bottle of water, if I remember to put one in.

Other than that, I carry the following:

8, 10 and 12 mm socket with a tiny little rachet

4, 5, and 6 mm allen wrench

Phillips and flat bit that fit in the little rachet

Master link

Little Crescent wrench

Large and small zip ties

Stuck stub

Leatherman

A bright orange rag

To be added when I feel like it:

A way to carry some duct tape

Safety wire

Little pliers

That liquid steel stuff that comes in a tube/roll and you knead it to harden. What is that really called?

I worked the 100s National with R3 last year and saw what the guy I was riding with carried. I think it was way too much, but it gave me some ideas on smaller versions of that stuff to carry. We were able to get some riders out of tough spots because of his tool belt.

The last thing I (or any of us) want to do is inconvenience someone to go get us. If I am done racing, I want to have enough on me to at least limp my bike back to camp.

No, Springfield Armory 1911 or S&M M&P 9mm.:smirk:

Tools:

Ogio fanny pack and Moose racing water pack, racing or not. It's all about bike prep, you don't need the kitchen sink.

Cell phone in zip-lock baggie-side pouch and small rag for goggles

a couple of Gu's or some quick energy goodie.

Basic 1/4" drive sockets 8, 10, 12 with mini T wrench

2 master links and 2 intermediate links

Precision Concepts 1X chain breaker-the best little breaker out there..period

some zip-ties, duck tape about 1" wide around a piece of pencil

a little safety wire

Some basic first aid stuff, Advil, other pain killers in water tight baggie

Small mechanics rag

Space blanket

Moose metal-epoxy for broken case. Great product

Mini wire cutters with plier ends, very light

2 mini wrenches, 10, 12mm

3 allen wrenches

Ball point pen and a stuck stub i.e., paper to give your info so they don't forget who you are

I carry mini channel locks and mini crescent when play riding.

That's pretty much it. I hate having too much weight on me, it slows me down. And IMO, it's safer to keep your tools in a fanny pack rather than a back pack, as a friend of mine broke his back in a crash that way. Plus, you are more top heavy and it tires your upper body quicker. Look at the pro desert racers, they all wear fanny packs and basic water packs.

Edited by ksrrider

This is old school mentality; and we didn't have a choice when I was young. Oh, how I wished I had invented the water pack...$$$$$$$$

For Gp's and moto no prob, but desert or enduro, hum? You don't have to top them off, so I would always rather have some then not. Sometimes you need it for your radiator.

Oh, how I wished I had invented the water pack...$$$$$$$$

Go invent the next generation. A pack that taps into your spine to supply fluids, nutrients, meds, Sierra Nevada. One touch button operation please.

Don't race but....

I used to do the fanny tool pack and a Camel Back HAWG. Got to be to heavy. I switched over to the flight vest and the weight distribution is much better on the shoulders than back and waste.

So the goods:

8, 10, 12, 13 W/T handle, multi tool W/ screw driver etc. combo, both made by motion pro., a couple allen wrenches, fuses, 3 Tire spoons, 1-21" tube, WD-40, Second wind pump and three C02, 27X15mm axle wrench, 10" adjustable wrench, tow rope, needle nose vice grips, extra master and links, chain tool, cell phone, mini mag AAA flash light, camera, 1-AAA and 2-AA Batteries, small piece of plastic water bottle to clean and wipe fork seals, writing pen & Paper, paper towel tablets (just add water), Trail mix, Jerky, Zip ties, latex gloves, basic first aid kit, 100oz water bladder, probably forgetting things but I am old. This is my biggest amount I will carry depending on the ride and who with. Most of the time I will split up some stuff and give the kids some of it.

Another good thread here.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846639&highlight=carry

Edited by PALMER84ONE