Sign in to follow this  

California riders, What are you getting busted for?

Just wondering the most common things that cops shoot you down for on your dual-sports. I want to make sure I wont be getting pulled over 24/7 on my plated XR250R which has stock headlight and taillight, no brake light, and $2 O'reilly turn signals :smirk: (Planning out a better setup)

The previous owner didn't have too much trouble riding in Visalia with only a plate and one dinky mirror.

All input appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by gabechroust

I would at least get a brake light set up. No brake light is a red flag when the law is behind you, very obvious when there is not one. The safety factor alone is enough for me to have one. I too have a plated XR250R and so far no problems with the law. The last thing you need is someone rear ending you, get a brake light.

I'd imagine on your XR250 you can mostly fly under the radar. But if some hard-on pulls you over and checks the bike out ... he'll write for no brake light for sure. You really should have one if riding street. Common sense.

Rig one up, it's not Rocket Science.

And I would put on a more conspicuous mirror ... don't give them any excuse to pull you ... :smirk: ("Oh, I didn't see that little mirror"). Because once they got you over they check the bike over ... depending on your attitude and the cop's outlook on dirt bikes.

Also, make sure you have some kind of license plate light. It's a Chicken Sh*t deal ... but just one more thing they can write you for. And don't forget a horn. :prof:

Much depends on the cops in the areas you ride. In most of Nor Cal you have to do something pretty stupid to get their attention. Hoping curbs, riding on the sidewalk, wheelies ... will get you noticed. They mostly look at big Sport Bikes, nut puny little dual sports. Relax, ride mellow in town.

However, in tourist areas like National Parks the Fish Cops have NOTHING else to do ... so don't give them an excuse to pull you over. In Death Valley,

they hate any off road bike and will watch you like a hawk. Be legal until you get out in the boonies.

Nevada, on the other hand is great and very tolerant of off road bikes. You see full on dirt bikes riding in towns all the time ... no street legal equip. at all. Dirt bikes are a big part of the local economy ... so they leave them alone for the most part. (funny how money talks)

I think you can get away with the stock headlight ... only because most cops wouldn't know how to check if it's DOT or not. But if you ever really do have to ride at night on a curvy road ... the XR light sucks. (I rode my XR250 all over Baja, night and day. I had to tuck in behind my buddies with brighter lights, couldn't see a thing)

Do a nice clean install on your wiring or it will come apart when hammering off road. Make sure it can handle the thumping, vibes, dirt and water.

Good luck ... stay mellow ... no loud pipes. :smirk:

• Like 1

I would at least get a brake light set up. No brake light is a red flag when the law is behind you, very obvious when there is not one. The safety factor alone is enough for me to have one. I too have a plated XR250R and so far no problems with the law. The last thing you need is someone rear ending you, get a brake light.
I'd imagine on your XR250 you can mostly fly under the radar. But if some hard-on pulls you over and checks the bike out ... he'll write for no brake light for sure. You really should have one if riding street. Common sense.

Rig one up, it's not Rocket Science.

And I would put on a more conspicuous mirror ... don't give them any excuse to pull you ... :smirk: ("Oh, I didn't see that little mirror"). Because once they got you over they check the bike over ... depending on your attitude and the cop's outlook on dirt bikes.

Also, make sure you have some kind of license plate light. It's a Chicken Sh*t deal ... but just one more thing they can write you for. And don't forget a horn. :lol:

Much depends on the cops in the areas you ride. In most of Nor Cal you have to do something pretty stupid to get their attention. Hoping curbs, riding on the sidewalk, wheelies ... will get you noticed. They mostly look at big Sport Bikes, nut puny little dual sports. Relax, ride mellow in town.

However, in tourist areas like National Parks the Fish Cops have NOTHING else to do ... so don't give them an excuse to pull you over. In Death Valley,

they hate any off road bike and will watch you like a hawk. Be legal until you get out in the boonies.

Nevada, on the other hand is great and very tolerant of off road bikes. You see full on dirt bikes riding in towns all the time ... no street legal equip. at all. Dirt bikes are a big part of the local economy ... so they leave them alone for the most part. (funny how money talks)

I think you can get away with the stock headlight ... only because most cops wouldn't know how to check if it's DOT or not. But if you ever really do have to ride at night on a curvy road ... the XR light sucks. (I rode my XR250 all over Baja, night and day. I had to tuck in behind my buddies with brighter lights, couldn't see a thing)

Do a nice clean install on your wiring or it will come apart when hammering off road. Make sure it can handle the thumping, vibes, dirt and water.

Good luck ... stay mellow ... no loud pipes. :smirk:

Thanks for the info. My mirrors are pretty noticeable now.

I had planned the brake light to use a hydraulic pressure switch on the front brake master cylinder. That's the only way I've seen it done. But $17 for a little switch is pissing me off. Any simpler way to make a brake light switch?

I also can't get a brake light bright enough to be seen during the day out here. The sun is just too bright and it isn't even summer yet. I even tested the brake lights on my two cars and they aren't "noticable" in this brightness. Hopefully I just have vision problems and other people will notice my lights.:prof:

Also, my pipe is nothing in comparison to all the other bikes around here so I think I'm good.:lol: I agree that quieter is better.

DSCI0009-1-1.jpg

Looks pretty legal, right? Maybe it would be a good idea to add a strip of reflector tape or something to the backs of the mirrors? Make them more noticeable.

*EDIT* just modded my exhaust more and now it is realllyyyyy quiet. I love it. Sounds so smooth and not obnoxious at all :lol:

Edited by gabechroust

You need an 1157 socket in your tail light. Then run a red led 1157 bulb. Incandescent bulbs die fast on a vibrating plastic fender.

• Like 1

Probable cause for a stop:

No mirror

No working brake light

No visibal turn signals

Can't see the license plate

Solve a bunch of them on the bike in the picture with a UFO tail light, turn signal and more vertical plate holder.

I have been stoped many times for "couldn't see your plate", until I put the UFO on XR 200, 400, & 600 and now CRF230.

• Like 1

How it ever got plated in the first place without a working brake light is suspect. Not to mention that a hi/low beam headlight and horn are also pretty universally required.

Besides the banjo fitting switch, you can use a mechanical switch. As was stated earlier, the stock brake light socket already has the contact in it for a brake circuit. It just needs a wire run from a brake switch and soldered in, then install a dual filament bulb.

My switch is from a Honda ATV.

BrakeSwitch.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful. I'll be handing out the +rep as soon as I get to a computer. Phone sucks.

I'm in luck today because I just took out my tail light bulb and it is a 21/5w dual fillament unit! Now I'm just going to create a switch, wire it all up, get that plate tilted back, and hopefully I'll finally be able to ride this beast.

I'm in luck today because I just took out my tail light bulb and it is a 21/5w dual fillament unit!

Yes, the stock bulb is dual filament, as is the socket, but the wire for the stop filament isn't there. There's only one wire going into the socket and it runs the tail light.

Yup, and I'm fixing that up right now.

*EDIT* perfect brake light now using a mechanical switch and the second 21w filament on the stock bulb. Total cost $0. Works perfectly at above idle.

Edited by gabechroust

Considering you will be at idle while you are slowing down (clutch pulled in) or at a stop I suggest you try to get it brighter at idle. That's when some clown rear ended me, when I was stopped.

Considering you will be at idle while you are slowing down (clutch pulled in) or at a stop I suggest you try to get it brighter at idle. That's when some clown rear ended me, when I was stopped.

Oh damn that's nice and comforting. Will Ni-MH batteries work fine and charge fine in a plain old DC system (Just rectifier/regulator)? If yes, I think I can get the lights to stop dimming.

*edit* Just got my question regarding Ni-MH batteries answered on another thread. It will work :smirk:

Edited by gabechroust

I had that same WB pipe on my XR4. even when freshly packed and with the quiet core insert, it was too loud. It did sound good though.. when you get a round to it, put an FMF- Q4 on it. bike runs as well as ever, and it's weird, on pavement it's so quiet you can hear things like the tires and chain. and... I no longer get a headache riding..

I had that same WB pipe on my XR4. even when freshly packed and with the quiet core insert, it was too loud. It did sound good though.. when you get a round to it, put an FMF- Q4 on it. bike runs as well as ever, and it's weird, on pavement it's so quiet you can hear things like the tires and chain. and... I no longer get a headache riding..

Yeah, originally the WB pipe was FAR too loud. I went down to 4 discs (the minimum) but it messed the jetting up too much without really helping noise. So now i'm at 5 discs with restrictions that I made in the actual "bore"(?) of the muffler. Originally I thought this exhaust had no hope, but now it is much more quiet. The Q4 looks nice for the future as it will probably not be as heavy or restrictive as my WB pipe with a bunch of steel restrictions :smirk:

I am from Tulare. I have rode through Visalia to get into the mountains with my Plated KTM. I have Seen patrol cars along the way, but never stopped! I know Visalia PD has some DS guys because they have gone on rides with me. So some of our brave officers know the difference?

I am from Tulare. I have rode through Visalia to get into the mountains with my Plated KTM. I have Seen patrol cars along the way, but never stopped! I know Visalia PD has some DS guys because they have gone on rides with me. So some of our brave officers know the difference?

Cool! Here in Modesto there are cops on dual-sports, but they are always only cruising around downtown so I think they must be posers :smirk:

I've gone by several cops so far and a few of them gave me a good long look but none have pulled me over or trailed me too far yet.

The only problem I am having with this bike so far is that I can't find a place anywhere to hit some dirt!:smirk:

Where is this thread located?

Bundy

Oh damn that's nice and comforting. Will Ni-MH batteries work fine and charge fine in a plain old DC system (Just rectifier/regulator)? If yes, I think I can get the lights to stop dimming.

*edit* Just got my question regarding Ni-MH batteries answered on another thread. It will work :smirk:

Just wondering the most common things that cops shoot you down for on your dual-sports. I want to make sure I wont be getting pulled over 24/7 on my plated XR250R which has stock headlight and taillight, no brake light, and $2 O'reilly turn signals :smirk: (Planning out a better setup)

The previous owner didn't have too much trouble riding in Visalia with only a plate and one dinky mirror.

All input appreciated. Thanks!

A couple of years ago at the Sheet Iron 300, I was pulled over by a local cop in Fort Bragg. My plate on my XR 400 was covered with mud from the ride over. He was very cool about the whole thing, checked my registration and I wiped off the plate.

You need an 1157 socket in your tail light. Then run a red led 1157 bulb. Incandescent bulbs die fast on a vibrating plastic fender.
Yes, the stock bulb is dual filament, as is the socket, but the wire for the stop filament isn't there. There's only one wire going into the socket and it runs the tail light.

I installed this on my EXC.

http://sicassracing.com/store/tail_lights/sicass_easy_fit/new_2011_ktm_xc_sx_easy_fit_under_fender

I was worried about the vibrations too. The LED works great so far without a problem. Also the great thing about LED is if one of the lights burns out, there are multiple more small "lights" on there too. You'd never notice.:ride: Better yet, a CHP shouldn't notice either.