USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Could use your expertise. I've got oil around my spark plug?(pics)

I had been noticing some oil-like substance coming out of my spark plug drainage hole, but thought it was just due to me washing the bike and water getting in there, mixing with debris, and coming out dirty.

Today I took my gastank off to take a look, here's what I found. Not sure what to think. The plug was not loose, nor really tight... I don't remove spark plugs often so I don't really know. The bike is a 2005 WR250F

img1556e.jpg

By wdthfxup at 2011-05-21

img1596z.jpg

screenshot20110521at225.jpg

Pictures of the spark plug when pulled.

img1603b.jpg

img1602h.jpg

img1600o.jpg

img1599tb.jpg

Edited by wdthfxup

Are you sure it's oil? Looks like dirty rusty water to me. Maybe rust off an old spark plug.

Since you have the tank off, just remove the valve cover and check the valve clearance. Then inspect the valve cover gasket (expect to replace that). The round part of the gasket looks like its leaking slightly, not bad. Gasket might get by just by cleaning.

Are you sure it's oil? Looks like dirty rusty water to me. Maybe rust off an old spark plug.

It did indeed feel oily, but I can't say I'm 100% sure it was oil.

Since you have the tank off, just remove the valve cover and check the valve clearance. Then inspect the valve cover gasket (expect to replace that). The round part of the gasket looks like its leaking slightly, not bad. Gasket might get by just by cleaning.

Thanks for the reply. I've never removed the valve cover and checked the valve clearance before.... Semi scared to do so but you've gotta learn at some point, right.

I called the local shop the guy said it was probably the rings and quoted me 500-700 to fix it. Thats some incentive to do it myself.

No big deal. Looks like the rubber caps have perished over time. As has been advised, lift the cam cover off and either reseal or replace. Enjoy!

Oh...next time (before) you remove the plug, clean the recess with solvent & blow out with compressed air. Stops all that 'crud' from dropping into the cylinder.

i dont think it is the rings, i know for a fact its prolly your o ring that sits under your cam caps, just repalce it, its a o ring type seal.

Bad valve cover gasket. Like ronbuell said, check your valve clearances while you have the valve cover off. It's not rocket science. You can find how too video's on you tube, and the manual is very very clear.

The guy at the shop didn't understand or see what you showed us here. There are 2 cap screws on the valve cover, and its made to come off multiple times so you can check valve clearances quickly and seal it back up. Mine was leaking slightly also. After I verified my valves, I just cleaned the surfaces and gasket with brake cleaner and clean rags. You can get those at any auto parts house for less than $8.00. Clean the surface where the gasket goes, and wipe the gasket off, making sure not to tear it. Come the think of it, the PO could have torn it, so look closely around the round part that goes around the spark plug. Should take you all of 20 min. Great quick job and helps you become familiar with your bike. Most of us on here are mechanics or have been doing this for 20-30 years, so getting into the motor is not an issue for us.

Git er dun !!!!!!!!!!!!!