Sign in to follow this  

Adding Kick Start... Special Tools?

I'm adding the kick start kit to my '09 DRZ400S. Reading the instructions & reviewing my Clymer manual, it shows that "special tools" are required to perform this task. For those of you who have installed this kit already, did you need to purchase/acquire the special tools they refer to or did you get by without them or by making your own?

Not sure about special tools for the kickstart install, but here's an "interesting" way to hold the clutch hub. :smirk:

P1020281.jpg

I just did the same on my 09. Took about a hour including adding fluids.

Was quite easy, but certainly pay attention to this and this, as the current version of the suzuki kick start manual leaves out these critical steps. :smirk:

Thanks for the info, guys. The instructions w/pics from cob will definately help.

I have the kick start and never use it. Better just do the battery upgrade. If you drop it the carb will flood and your leg will get tired before it starts. Just get the bigger battery and go ride, it's cheaper and easier.

I used the old "put it in 5th gear and hold the rear brake" method, it worked fine for me but I can see if you did alot of ranking on it that your tranny might take a little abuse. If I did it again, I would get the motion pro clutch tool mentioned above, would have made the job easier. Impact wrench would have also been a nice luxury.

No special tools used here... I used the brake for removing the clutch basket, also.