Books on howto learn about 4 stroke engines ?

I'd like to learn about 4 stroke engines.

Firs the basics, then taking engines apart, putting them together. Then finally maintenance and repair.

I plan on buying a used broken motor for cheap, buying a book and studying between the two.

Any recommendations on good books ? I can't read tutorials online, the comprehension is vastly different compared to hard covered books.

Thanks.

My owners manual did a good job teaching me about 4 strokes. Not necessarily how a fourstroke engine works but anything involved in maintenance and repairs.

I would like something as well. If you find something make sure that you post it.

The owners manual is a good source as was already stated. I've learned the most about the engines from working on junkers. 2strokes are the easier between the two. Just look around on criagslist for a 100 dollar basket case. I'm looking for another one right now to play with.

Youtube

the best way to learn is to start taking it apart...

get a chilton medium engin repair manuel at your local napa or kragen shop maby even home depot or lowes might have one

Get an old POS lawn mower at a yard sale or something and tear it apart and put it back together. If it runs you pass, if it doesn't run then you've got yourself a new lawn ornament!!

Practice easy. CaveMike open wallet, empty wallet, repeat.

Clymer manuals are good too.

I found this to be the best teacher. Hold the bike wide open until you hear some funny noises or until if shuts off. I found this to be better than any book

Get an old POS lawn mower at a yard sale or something and tear it apart and put it back together. If it runs you pass, if it doesn't run then you've got yourself a new lawn ornament!!

:smirk: thats a great way to learn actually