After you first BIG injury!

Five weeks ago I fell down and went boom. And it hurt! :prof: I broke my right clavicle and a few ribs and it may be several more weeks before I am totally healed.

This is an admission more that anything else. I actually put my bike up for sale last week thinking I need to give it up being an elderly guy who got a little scared after my injury and faced with the reality that with each day, I get older and will crash again. Can I handle it? Is it worth it? Should I sell out like those many thousands of guys who buy a bike, have a near miss and get so scared they sell their bike with only 300 miles on it?

Today I changed my mind. :smirk:

I ignored my 2009 KLX250S for 5 weeks and went to see the battery would still start the bike in my $65 a month U-Haul storage unit in case a potential buyer came along.

I pulled my bike off the market. I'm keeping it. If I get hurt, I get hurt. If I get killed, my daughter and grandson will be set for life!

Until then, I'm, riding! :smirk:

Share your story.

EDIT: Injury pic after 8 days.

8thday.JPG

In July 2006 at age 46 I had a nasty crash. Broke the following….

R collar bone.

6 ribs.

Cracked vertebrae.

Crack pelvic bone.

Both lungs collapsed.

Came very close to death, very close.

Spent four days in ICU. Day two of being home I was out in the garage doing repairs to the bike I crashed. Day four of being home, I rode the bike around the yard. Wife about killed me. The crash didn’t kill me, but I thought my wife was going to. Put bike away for the rest of the year. I just had to get back on the horse that bucked me! 2007 I was back in the saddle again, but I am way way way slower. That’s okay, I still have fun, and have a different outlook on life. I beat the grim reaper this time, may not the next. The way I look at it, everyone is going to have a serious accident once in their life. It’s going to happen. Hopefully my one time is over, and it won’t happen again.

damn dude do you bruise like a banana or what? I've gotten pretty busted up but never gotten any bruising like that. Hopefully I get to become the first bionic rider because my ankles knees and wrists are already trashed.

Over the winter I got hit by a truck snowmobiling. I was crossing a road, didn't even see the truck coming and bam! I flew off the sled and landed on the road. My dad who crossed the road before me saw the whole thing and in his eyes he thought I was dead. Somehow I managed to not even get a bruise or a scratch (the sled did though).

The instinct thought of my parents were to sell the sleds and move on. We didn't and me and my dad went out exactly one week later for another ride (I was on my brothers sled cause the one was banged up pretty bad).

I didn't get hurt so I don't know how that would have effected the decision whether to continue to snowmobile. I have yet to have any serious injuries doing any of the sports I do (skiing, snowmobiling, dirt biking, water sports...).

I think when I got hit it was more scary than if I got hurt from a operator crash. The way the whole thing played out was just not fun.

you know it only takes 7 psi to break the CB? hang on to it.i need to slow down myself at 48. we dont heal like we use to.

Rode MX in high school and first part of college. Never got hurt. Did nt ride for 25 years. Bought a bike after 25 years of not riding. Dislocated a toe and broke a clavicle. Cant wait to get back on my bike. Wife thinks I am crazy. Do yourself a favor and make sure your suspension is set up for your riding type and ability. Much safer and enjoyable. Riiding keeps you young!

Over the winter I got hit by a truck snowmobiling. I was crossing a road, didn't even see the truck coming and bam! I flew off the sled and landed on the road. My dad who crossed the road before me saw the whole thing and in his eyes he thought I was dead. Somehow I managed to not even get a bruise or a scratch (the sled did though).

The instinct thought of my parents were to sell the sleds and move on. We didn't and me and my dad went out exactly one week later for another ride (I was on my brothers sled cause the one was banged up pretty bad).

I didn't get hurt so I don't know how that would have effected the decision whether to continue to snowmobile. I have yet to have any serious injuries doing any of the sports I do (skiing, snowmobiling, dirt biking, water sports...).

I think when I got hit it was more scary than if I got hurt from a operator crash. The way the whole thing played out was just not fun.

You're lucky. My best friend's cousin was hit by a plow on his sled when he was 14 and died a few days later in the hospital. We were 13 at the time and it was horribly devastating to her and her family. Scary stuff! It's getting late, I'll contribute my story tomorrow.

CaveMike too old go back skateboards, too lazy pedal bike. Dirtbikes dangerous, only thing put special smile on him face. No dangerous, no fast, no fun.

CaveMike too old go back skateboards, too lazy pedal bike. Dirtbikes dangerous, only thing put special smile on him face. No dangerous, no fast, no fun.

Sorry off subject but This dude cracks me up. Nothing major but I broke my collar bone clean snap and was able to start riding 2 weeks later Definatly wasn't fun

Just wait a while. I have been hurt more times than I can count. At first the fear of getting hurt again has me ready to quit. Once you are healed up, you will change your mind and want to ride again!

Somewhere around mid to late forties I think you come to the conclusion that your not unbreakable. For me its not a fear of dieing or getting hurt, its a fear of constant pain for the rest of my life. Screwing something up so bad that I cant even go for a trail ride someday or taking 20-30 minutes to get out of bed in the morning. I broke my foot a few years ago. (in the front yard :smirk:) It took me almost a year before I could stand up to pee in the morning. at 45, soft tissue damage is much worse than bone.

I ride hare scrambles. Still get the fun of "racing" without flying 30 feet in the air. Plenty of danger. Trees dont move far when you hit them.

Whats even scarier is when your son starts riding faster than you! That's a whole different topic.........

Somewhere around mid to late forties I think you come to the conclusion that your not unbreakable. For me its not a fear of dieing or getting hurt, its a fear of constant pain for the rest of my life. Screwing something up so bad that I cant even go for a trail ride someday or taking 20-30 minutes to get out of bed in the morning. I broke my foot a few years ago. (in the front yard :smirk:) It took me almost a year before I could stand up to pee in the morning. at 45, soft tissue damage is much worse than bone.

I ride hare scrambles. Still get the fun of "racing" without flying 30 feet in the air. Plenty of danger. Trees dont move far when you hit them.

Whats even scarier is when your son starts riding faster than you! That's a whole different topic.........

yep,them trees dont move to far. dont ask me how i know that.

Why is it the one that I hit dont move but the ones the guy in front of me hits bend and snap back just in time to whack me!!

Why is it the one that I hit dont move but the ones the guy in front of me hits bend and snap back just in time to whack me!!
i got hit by that one to:worthy::smirk::worthy:

I have gotten my most serious injury riding Hare scrambles, at the Long Cane HS in SC I was on lap 2, making up places, running good and fast (well as fast as a 200C rider goes lol) and hit a fast jump/g-out section a little off and went 3 feet too far right and landed square into a tree, broke 3 ribs and tore my rotator cuff......I was off my bike for about 6 weeks last fall. I only ride MX now and the only sorta serious injury I have had from that is a broke thumb and I re-hurt the ribs I broke before.

The list:

Pulverized my left hand and drove the fingers back into the palm when I found a hit n run tree in the middle of a 40 acre grass field, it was the only tree in the entire field.

Broke my left foot when I hit a rock hidden in tall grass, had my foot pointed down on the peg, hit the rock hard enough to basically wrap my foot around the peg

Four broken ribs when I hit the "marbles" low in the corner on a hard-packed track, happened in an instant, guys that saw it said it was the best demonstration of ghost riding they have ever seen.

the last and most painful, ruptured testicle when I got 58 feet of a 60 foot jump, came up just a little short and cased it, drove my nuts up to my earlobes when I hit the gas tank, I remember thinking as I was coming down from the apex of the jump, "i'm gonna be short" seemed like I was in the air for over an hour hanging there just staring at the crown on the landing zone. My Son, who saw me do it, asked why I didn't bail, told him I didn't have the balls (pun intended) to jump off the bike.

Long story short, I still ride, I ride for myself and I ride smarter (insert slower) now, still enjoy the sport and plan to ride until I can't walk, don't mind the crashes, just hate the heal time, cuts into the riding time.

O40R

i am 37 and have always been a daredevil. i have has broken wrists, broken ribs, torn up knees, broken scapula, chipped elbow, dislocated shoulder, fingers (ouch ouch ouch), toes (also ouchy), concussions countless bruises and sprains ect

i figure i will use up this body by the time i die, but a gift unused is a wasted gift. the first ride after a nasty incident is alway a bit troubling but the joy of riding (or snowboarding or surfing or whatever) always comes back for me. i have toned it down over the years, I tell my wife that i am willing to risk broken bones, but not my life and i mean it.

The list:

Broke my left foot when I hit a rock hidden in tall grass, had my foot pointed down on the peg, hit the rock hard enough to basically wrap my foot around the peg

O40R

Hey!!! That's how I broke my foot also. I was on a little warm up run through the front yard before I changed the oil. I was about 44 when I did it. The top of my foot hurt in the morning for about a year. Hobbled to the can every morning and took a seat. :smirk:

Did you have boots on? I just had hiking boots on. Great lesson for the kid. Never ride without the proper gear...

Hey!!! That's how I broke my foot also. I was on a little warm up run through the front yard before I changed the oil. I was about 44 when I did it. The top of my foot hurt in the morning for about a year. Hobbled to the can every morning and took a seat. :smirk:

Did you have boots on? I just had hiking boots on. Great lesson for the kid. Never ride without the proper gear...

Think I was about the same age when I broke mine, 5 miles back in the brush from the truck, I remember it being a long ,slow ride to get out.

Yup.. had boots on, cheap pair of Bieffe's, it was a great lesson for me, "Don't point your toes down when riding"

I was in a walking boot for a week, the damn thing caused my back to go out, took the boot off and went back to my work boots laced real tight, foot healed in about 4 months, back still gives me problems from time to time though.

Man reading some of this stuff brings back not so great memories. I had a crash 6yrs ago on a YZ250 ended up on bed rest for 3 months healing from a surgery to fix a broken fibula, broken ankle and torn ligaments. I sold the YZ250 shortly after and never got on a bike after that again. A few weeks ago I took my 11yr old and 7yr old to the track so they could ride and well lets say a week ago yesterday I bought a CRF450R and even though I was slow when I took it out I had a TON of fun.

I guess as you get older you get wiser and the risks you are willing to take become smaller :smirk:

Alain