Sign in to follow this  

What year is the best 2000-2004 125cr

I am looking to get a 125 to play with I haven't decided if I want a Yz or Cr. I am looking to spend 1000-1500. Give me some input on the good and bad on these bikes. The bike will be used at MX tracks What aftermarket parts should I look for on these bikes?

i believe the 01 doesnt have a v ery good reputation either

of those years the 02 is the best. 03 is second. 01 is third and that is not saying a lot. stay away from the 04 one year only design.

Best years are 05-07 and they are the same bike all years except BNG

Sounds like the CR engine is are lacking during this time period. Will a port job make a night day difference. Anybody use Eric Gorr for a port job on a 125? How does it compare to stock?

Sorry to jack the thread, but what is the difference between '02 and '03? I had an '02 a couple years back but sold it. Also, will any other year cylinder fit an '03?

I wish it were closer so I could buy it. If you see any in Ohio for that price let me know.

The YZ125 owned the 125 class from 2000-up. The CR125's were slow by comparison, but they had great handling and suspension. If I had $1,500 to spend, I would probably look for a YZ125 like this. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2389935378.html

Thanks, but this doesn't really answer either of my questions. Unless I'm missing something...:smirk:

EDIT:

From this review the engine has the opposite characteristics of my '02. Mine had no bottom, a little mid-range, and pretty good top-end...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/122/504/Motorcycle-Article/2003-Honda-CR125-Comparison.aspx

This is not one of the years you mentioned but.....

The stock '06 CR125 is FAR from slow. However, the power exists in a very short rpm spread, so you have to shift/clutch like a maniac to keep it singin'.

We have an '06 around here. This bike has been changed to an EG CR144. With 1 tooth smaller than stock rear sprocket, the power characteristics are much better. The motor is easier to keep in the sweet spot. It is a stellar machine as a 144. It is a really quick bike with a sweet gearbox and excellent handling. The yz might be a better 125, but I really doubt that it is a better 144 (although I haven't ridden a yz144, so this is a guess).

i ride an 03 cr 125 and my buddy has an 04 yz 125.

on the track i can do most of the jumps n' stuff in 3rd on the cr. however, on the trails and just playing around the yz is better because of its extra gear and slightly stronger motor. in my opinion.

Thanks, but this doesn't really answer either of my questions. Unless I'm missing something...:smirk:

You must have misread the engine differences and the BNGs there

I have a 2002 and 2007 cr 125r. The 07 is faster, but its fully modded by procircuit. I love the 2002 bike they are very comftorable, but the 2000 sucks. Id get a 2002-2007. Good luck, but make sure the rc valve is in good condition otherwise ur screwed.