Looking for a 125 just not sure which one?

I am looking to get a 125 to play with I haven't decided if I want a Yz or Cr. I am looking to spend 1000-1500. So it looks like my choices are from 99 to 2004? Give me some input on the good and bad on these bikes. The bike will be used at MX tracks What aftermarket parts should I look for on these bikes?

For up to $1500 you could possibly even snag a 05 or maybe even a 06 yz 125. I don't know much about the cr's but i don't think many people have problems with a yz. I don't anyways i love mine! :smirk:

Both are pretty good bikes. I would probably take a kx over both but that's just because I am a kawi Guy. But you really can't go wrong with either bike. For mods I would get suspension set up for your preference, get it jetted correctly, then aftermarket stuff like pipe, reeds, ect. Good luck!

I doubt there is too much difference between the two bikes it just depends on what you like...my uncle and I have been yamaha guys for years and we would never buy Honda lol but that doesn't mean its a bad bike

The Yamaha is the only way to go. The Honda is a jetting nightmare, not just initially but all the time. The Yammy has a much stronger motor and is much more foregiving. Good luck.

The CR has better ergonomics for a bigger rider, and much better brakes. The YZ has a better stock motor, and great ergonomics for riders 6' 2" and under (Personal experience).

For the years that you are looking at, Yamaha won the 125 shootouts pretty consistently.

Is there that much difference in the motors? The mag reviews make it sound like the honda is a dog. I had a 94 cr and thought it was a dog compared to my brothers 2000 YZ. However that was many years ago. I am looking to improve cornering speed and thought a 125 was the right choice. My 450 doesn't need cornering speed to clear most jumps therefore I have become a little lazy.

Is there that much difference in the motors? The mag reviews make it sound like the honda is a dog. I had a 94 cr and thought it was a dog compared to my brothers 2000 YZ. However that was many years ago. I am looking to improve cornering speed and thought a 125 was the right choice. My 450 doesn't need cornering speed to clear most jumps therefore I have become a little lazy.

If you were looking to be competitive in a 125 class, there probably is, without spending some dough on the honda.

If you are looking for a play bike, and something to practice on, either bike will suffice. Remember both brands had 5 speed transmissions in that era, and I recommend that they be avoided, unless you plan to build a 144.

I did a little research and it looks like I should get an 05 or 06 YZ the 05 cr sounds like it might be a good bet to. Is a big bore kit really worth? What do you gain? about the difference of a pipe? 20cc does it gain you more than a 10%. I must likely will not race it.

I don't think you will find a good condition 06 yz for $1500 as they are pretty sought after right now. You might find a 05 but it will be at the top of your budget. I think you will have better luck picking up a 02-04 yz or RM in really good shape for under $1500. Big bores will give you more power all around, a pipe is not comparable to a big bore and will just move the power around more than adding. Not worth it to me for a play bike unless you need a new cylinder anyway. You will have fun with any of them but the honda would not be my choice. IMO the honda lacks everywhere compared to the YZ except may in ergo's..

Good Luck and have fun looking...

I would really an Aluminum framed Yz I may have to spend a little more. The magazine reviews make it sound like the 6-speed tranny aluminum frame and new engine are night and day difference. Any thoughts? I still don't know if a 125 is right for me I may just get bored and sell it. I am 5'11 and 175lbs.

Didn't only the '04 YZ125's have a 5-speed? I have an '08 now and it's sweet but I bet I could find a clean '02 for half the money and be just as happy with it (I trail ride). My '08 still has to be ridden like a 125! It's fun. If you're not brand loyal you should buy the cleanest bike you can afford, any brand.

Any thoughts? I still don't know if a 125 is right for me I may just get bored and sell it. I am 5'11 and 175lbs.

I think a guy up to 180 lbs is ok on a 125.

A 125 two stroke will never be boring.

I don't think you will find a good condition 06 yz for $1500 as they are pretty sought after right now. You might find a 05 but it will be at the top of your budget. I think you will have better luck picking up a 02-04 yz or RM in really good shape for under $1500. Big bores will give you more power all around, a pipe is not comparable to a big bore and will just move the power around more than adding. Not worth it to me for a play bike unless you need a new cylinder anyway. You will have fun with any of them but the Honda would not be my choice. IMO the Honda lacks everywhere compared to the YZ except may in ergo's..

Good Luck and have fun looking...

I feel thi same .Unless it's in a box of parts .I have in my area seen 05 YZ 125 be sold the same day listed on craigslist for 2200.00. YZ are still being made which is why a Yamaha is a better choice for sure. Honda's need a lot of massage work done to be on par.

remember 2003 CRs have electronic powervlves.

This is the second time you asked this question. Did the last time not yeild the answer you are looking for. Between YZ125 and CR125 anything after 2000 you almost have to go Blue if for no other reason than the motor.

I think a guy up to 180 lbs is ok on a 125.

A 125 two stroke will never be boring.

I second this if you ride it right 125's are anything but boring. They are fun factor times two. :ride: