XR650L Oil Cooler & Power Outlet

Here's what I've been working on the past few days.

I found a rather cheap marine grade power outlet on ebay. Went with the optional LED for $3.50 (cheap farkle that lets you know the fuse is good). Also the 60" of wire that is included ended up being the perfect length.

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Forgot that I needed to connect the power wire to an ignition power source after routing the wires all the way back :doh (only powered when ignition is "on") but luckily found that the only empty fuse port worked so I shoved it in there. If it doesn't stay, maybe I'll solder on a fuse prong.

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Got this usb socket for $0.01 on amazon :lol3 (ended up being $2.99 after shipping but still cheap!)

IMG_0448.jpg

The oil cooler I installed is a borrowed idea from thinknlive. Same basic set up as his; just slight differences in mounting and little details. Only costs $40 shipped + maybe $15 for the hosing and clamps at your local hardware store. thinknlive has reported stable temps from this set up; I plan to install a sensor in the oil line from the engine which I believe will get the most accurate engine oil temp readings.

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

I used pieces of fuel hosing on nearly all points where the mounting hose clamps would touch the frame to prevent vibration/wear/noise.

IMG_0419.jpg

I also used flattened pieces of fuel hosing to zip tie around sections of the oil cooler hosing that may come in contact with parts of the bike to prevent wear.

IMG_0432.jpg

At full lock "right"..

IMG_0434.jpg

I cut a rectangular section out of oil cooler hosing to use as a bumper for the top and bottom cooler brackets to run the mounting hose clamps through. This worked out well and looks very clean imo.

Bottom bracket..

IMG_0430.jpg

Top Bracket..

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Also hosed the Clarke 4.7 support wire so it doesn't dig into the oil line

IMG_0463.jpg

Now the cool part! Fender slots :evil

IMG_0449.jpg

Dremel offers this plastic/wood cutting bit that works much better than the full face discs that get too hot and melt stuff (unfortunately costs about $16 but should last a while)

IMG_0451.jpg

2 hours later... cut/filed/micro filed/razor scraped; result..

IMG_0456.jpg

Spaced the fender 3/4" lower on the front bolts & 1" lower on the rear to clear the cooler

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

Also trimmed 4" off the fender while I was at it

IMG_0469.jpg

Thanks again to thinknlive for answering all my questions and giving me in-depth feedback. Most all of this custom oil cooler kit was either borrowed or inspired by thinknlive :thumb

A few extra pictures of the install can be found at my photobucket.

Original oil cooler posts by thinknlive:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15870164&postcount=28080

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114834&page=1895

Mike B

Looks good. I like the wire mesh on the fender.

that looks sweet, Mike! gives me some food for thought, and I'll probably launch my own similar project soon...

i like it, at first it look like the cooler was too far off the frame and might hit the fender but it all worked out. any significant change in oil tempurature?

awesome job. i did a oil cooler with the same one. but i mounted on the fin

100_0725-1.jpg

i will have to do the same set up as you, when i get a new tank. good to know it can be done. also love the aux power. thats also on my list of things to do. was it hard to do?

Cooler looks great! Mind posting the dimensions or a link to it on summit/jegs wherever its from? Thanks!

Thanks guys :smirk:

i like it, at first it look like the cooler was too far off the frame and might hit the fender but it all worked out. any significant change in oil tempurature?

I haven't installed a temp gauge yet but the guy I borrowed this idea from posted a huge drop in temps and a more consistency. I believe it's mentioned on one of his links I posted at the bottom of the write up.

Btw, I had to run spacers on the fender to drop & angle it a bit. Wasn't sure if you caught that in the write up. The 2nd to last pic shows one of the spacers.

awesome job. i did a oil cooler with the same one. but i mounted on the fin

100_0725-1.jpg

i will have to do the same set up as you, when i get a new tank. good to know it can be done. also love the aux power. thats also on my list of things to do. was it hard to do?

I remember seeing this! I really like the idea but already went with a Clarke tank so no go.

The aux was simple. Just drill out the hole in the side of the cover (a little bigger than 1" for this particular unit). You can use my pics as a reference for location. There isn't much room in there; the wires actually straddle the inner rubber sleeve. Check out the link to my photobucket for some pics of behind the cover.

Cooler looks great! Mind posting the dimensions or a link to it on summit/jegs wherever its from? Thanks!

Here you go: http://www.bakerprecision.com/trucool.htm

Mike B

awesome thanks. im hoping to maybe mount mine in the rear. so i can charge my phone in the pouch. and becuase i wanna go with a big baja head light when i get a new tank. i do worry about water though. have you rode in any water yet? maybe i can build a step up in the air filter housing and run a usb to the fanny pack.

also how did you make or where did you get your spacers?

I haven't ridden through water yet, but I think it will be safe. Here is a close up of the rubber boot. As you'll see it's pretty well protected:

IMG_0488.jpg

I personally like the outlet up front because it's much easier to access and can be used for anything in front you (ex. gps). The rear will reach most other things (phone, jacket heater, etc) but I feel like it's still in an awkward position.

Btw, you can charge the phone in your pocket or in a tank bag :smirk:

Here is a picture of the spacers as well. Just got them from the local hardware store. If you can't find these, you can just use a bunch of washers to fine tune the angle :prof:

IMG_0487.jpg

Bonus: Something I was working on today. I'll post up more pictures when I'm finished :smirk:

IMG_0485.jpg

Mike B

hey mike,

Ive been checking your thread on adv as well...

just a question, how do you plan on attaching the wire lens cover? Ive modified my xr600 lens to a glass one with a 90watt bulb, and want to protect it with the grate looking wire., but need ideas. on how to attach it..jajaja

nice bike and mods btw...

cheers

Hey, I want to put a cooler inside the air dam as above, but I am worried about pressure.

Does anyone know which line is being cut. Is it a gravity fed return? or a pressurized line? the cooler i want to use would have the oil lines to be slightly above the fitting in the frame where the top of the existing line connects. I am thinking it would casue the oil not to return if its gravity only. Any comments? THanks.

hey mike,

Ive been checking your thread on adv as well...

just a question, how do you plan on attaching the wire lens cover? Ive modified my xr600 lens to a glass one with a 90watt bulb, and want to protect it with the grate looking wire., but need ideas. on how to attach it..jajaja

nice bike and mods btw...

cheers

I should have it done tomorrow so I'll take a picture for you :prof: It's better to just "see" how I did it :smirk:

Hey, I want to put a cooler inside the air dam as above, but I am worried about pressure.

Does anyone know which line is being cut. Is it a gravity fed return? or a pressurized line? the cooler i want to use would have the oil lines to be slightly above the fitting in the frame where the top of the existing line connects. I am thinking it would casue the oil not to return if its gravity only. Any comments? THanks.

Many guys use a XR400 oil cooler. It's expensive though and I feel that it won't cool as well as a large cooler. Here is one of many links that can be found by searching online: http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22902&whichpage=1

It's a pressurized system since the oil flows from the bottom-up. You can see the section I cut out in the first oil cooler picture I posted.

Hope this helps :smirk:

Mike B

Just finished up my headlight guard install. I used 304 stainless welded 2x2/.063" diameter mesh. Strong stuff. Here are some pics:

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Mike B

Nice job, Mike! :smirk: Did you bend the wires behind the headlight shroud to secure them, or did you some some other method?

Spud :smirk:

Nice job, Mike! :smirk: Did you bend the wires behind the headlight shroud to secure them, or did you some some other method?

Spud :prof:

Thanks Spud :smirk:

Ya, just bent the ones I needed to pull the screen in a bit. No point in doing all of them. It'll also make it easier to remove and leave you "spare" wires incase the bent ones decide to break.

IMG_0526.jpg

(More pics on my photobucket)

Mike B

I just copied your power outlet idea on my XR250R, so thanks for the idea :lol:

Now my GPS and camera will never run out of juice again!:ride:

I just copied your power outlet idea on my XR250R, so thanks for the idea :ride:

Now my GPS and camera will never run out of juice again!:thumbsup:

Cool, glad it worked out for you!

Mike B

I did some modifications to my oil cooler set up and decided to test it before reporting back. 2800 miles/10 days later; no issues and everything worked out great :ride:

I've added some pictures below. First thing is a stainless 90 bend added to the "out" side of the cooler to minimize kinking. The hoses were a little too bent before for my liking.

The second thing is a Trailtech TTO unit. I went with the 1/8x28 BSPP Screw Sensor. I got some brass fittings from a local hardware store and created a "U" flow shape to eliminate the need for any hose bending. It worked out perfectly :thumbsup:

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

My trip was up the Pacific Coast so it was mostly cool weather. The temps ranged from 180-210F in pretty much every type of riding I was doing. Most of it was cruising at 55-65mph, but did a lot of 35-70mph canyon roads so a lot of accel/decel.

Riding in LA where the temp is warmer, I've seen it stay around 220F while cruising @ 75mph on the freeway in 75F weather.

I'm doing a 10k 2-3 month trip across the US in a few weeks so I'll report back with any other changes in temps vs conditions I find. I'm sure there will be many :ride:

Mike B