Scotts stainless filter

Any experience here with the Scotts? I put one in my WR today, along with 300v.

From what I could see it is a simple drop in swap. The paper OEM filters have the rubber sealing washers on both sides, the Scotts has only one, on the cover side.

Anything negative about this filter?

Anything negative about this filter?

Yeah, ya gotta clean it

Yeah, ya gotta clean it

for some reason I wasnt aware of this and rode with my SS filter for a whole season and never cleaned it, when I did go to clean it it wasnt even that dirty. I did change my engine oil every 203 rides though so the oil was barely dirty anyways.

that's kinda the case with a well maintained bike these days. Manufacturing techniques are good. I just like the 'feel-good' characteristics of a new clean filter.

HOWEVER, if ya read this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10271252&postcount=20

ya might feel better about yours.

I'm still a paper guy :smirk:

that's kinda the case with a well maintained bike these days. Manufacturing techniques are good. I just like the 'feel-good' characteristics of a new clean filter.

HOWEVER, if ya read this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10271252&postcount=20

ya might feel better about yours.

I'm still a paper guy :smirk:

you can see the oil screen if you take the magneto cover off right? on my crf450 im pretty sure you can... would like to check mine for the hell of it. I imagine its clean though as the bike runs perfectly!

The OEM Yamaha filter is the best out there.

There was a very specific reason that Yamaha went from the brass metal screen filter in 2003 to the paper filter used today. Yamaha's research determined that given the reduced oil capacity of the 2003+ bikes, the OE filter did a better job.

If you want a metal cleanable filter, then why spend the $ on the aftermarket filters when you can get the 1UY-13440 OE filter at your dealer for about $ 12.00.

BTW, every modern car racing effort I'm aware of uses at least one paper filter in their system. Some food for thought.