Need Advice...

Two days ago, as I was going on my merry way, I slowed, put my blinker on, and used my hand signal to turn into a local business entrance. The white Tahoe behind me was 3/4 of a block away. Speed limit, 35mph. Just as I turned in I heard the horrible screeching of tires. I knew it was all over with then. I was hit from behind. As the bike went down I pushed myself off, thus saving myself more injury than I actually could have received (I have lived to ride another day...once I heal and get off the crutches). However, my bike did not fare as well. When I looked up from the concrete I was amazed that the police was already there! It was then that I was told that the white Tahoe was an unmarked police vehicle. In short, I was rear ended by a cop, on duty, who was on his cell phone at the time and just did not see me until it was too late.? He admitted it was totally his fault.

Now I have the City calling me wanting to settle on my bike damages... which their damage assessor has said is totaled! I have a lawyer for my personal injuries. But I have to talk to the City's lawyer in a couple of days about my totaled bike and property damage (helmet, boots and other stuff). I understand how the blue book value works and all. My problem is that my bike was totally customed out with over 3 grand worth of stuff and custom design paint job too.

My bike is a 2003 Yamaha V Star Silverado Custom (was in pristine condition) and specialized in many ways. I have NEVER been involved in an accident before or had to deal with adjusters. My question is.... will all the awesome extras and custom work be taken in account for what they offer me for the totaled bike? I know they will try and give me a low price. But all the custom work has a value as high as the bike itself. In the long run I am not gonna let them take the bike, as I will buy it back and take the salvage title... thats not a problem. I am just worried that they are not gonna give me nearly what the bike is worth. What do I say to these people and how do I handle this situation? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

PS... to add a giggle to this... the cop that hit me teaches at the local college at night.... He teaches A Driver's Safety Course! LOL!

I would have stayed on the pavement until the ambulance haul me away if I ever get rear ended by someone with legit insurance.

I hope you have official document that recorded the incident. Get the police report and your own lawyer. Insurance is suppose to make you 'whole', physically and emotionally, not the 'City'. Talk to a lawyer and know what you are entitled to.

Since your motorcycle is over 5 years old, it is not likely that insurance is going to give you nearly as much as you think it is worth, regardless of what you think it might be worth, unless you have receipts for every single 'custom work' that was done.

at least the police admitted they were in the wrong.

Over here in N.Ireland if that happened, they would use all of their power(which should be F**k all i should add) to get out of it, and as they are the police 8/10 times it would work.

When i first got my car insurance was so expensive here that I ended up as a named driver under my mums insurance. Stopped at a checkpoint and they asked who owned the car. I had no idea what to say so I said "Its my car but my mums insurance".

They kept me for an entire hour and twenty minutes just out of badness. Absolute f**kers here. ?

I am totally upset now. Finally the City's Lawyer got in touch with me. Their offer was $3300.00... then take away $1000.00 to buy the bike back... leaving me $2300.00. Now, I realize I will not get big bucks for the totaled bike. (And I DO wanna buy it back.... all the damage is cosmetic. There is almost 4 grand worth of customization on it). However... How can I replace the bike until it is fixed with a mere 3300? I cannot buy the same bike... less the custom work, in the same condition for that little bit... I have shopped around! This was their first offer.... I told them "I had to think about it and get back with them." But REALLY? This accident was totally not my fault (even tho the officer did NOT get a citation...hmmmm!) So, what do I do now... other than go postal? lol! To buy the same bike, same condition (less customization) is gonna cost me at least 4 grand or a bit more. I am really frustrated! I know I can rant and rave about it not being fair... tho it won't help at all. But just over a week ago I was riding a darn nice bike in pristine condition that just had new tires and brakes put on it ($700) and totally detailed. Today, I would be able to afford a moped! How do I negotiate with these people? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Get a good lawyer. It wasn't your fault so all the court expenses will be paid by the City. Get as many detailed pics of your bike and a complete list of all the work that was done to it. Tell them that you do not any thing more than the same bike back again. They will not want bad press......

Have you spoken to your insurance company? Depending on who you have, and what coverages you may have, you might be able to get some or all of your investment back. My insurance company claims that if I can prove one way or another that I have added something to the bike, it will be covered. I haven't tested them on this, but that is what I'm told.

For instance, I had a set of flatslides on my '86 GSXR. I asked about having to buy extra coverage for them, but was told that a receipt or even a picture would be adequate to prove they were on there and would be covered in addition to the "base" value of the machine.

Just a suggestion FWIW.

You may have coverage with your uninsured/underinsured........possibly