Sign in to follow this  

Buying a second hand motocross 450

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a second hand YZ450F/CRF450/RMZ450/KX450F from about 2007-2008. I know buying a used 4 stroke motocrosser can be risky business, as they are quite expensive to repair and high maintenance machines. Unfortunately I just cannot afford a brand new one, my budget is $5000 (AUD).

I know a little bit about bikes, but in no way am I a bike mechanic. I used to have a CR250 about 5 years ago, so it has been a while since I've actually owned a bike.

I've done alot of research on the internet and put together a list of things I should inspect/look out for when purchasing a 2nd hand 4 stroke motocrosser. In this list I've also listed how to inspect the item and some questions I plan to ask each seller.

The list is located here:

http://postimage.org/image/lxmh2qhw/

I think this is a good starting point in finding a good second hand bike. Can anyone suggest anything else I should be inspecting when looking at the bike?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

If you do have your heart set on getting a 450 motocrosser, do what I did. I tend to ride a bike for about a year or two (lately, it has been more like two years) and with my 450, I found an 05 CRF that ran great, low hours were verified and hauls the mail. I would like an 08-09, but for someone like me, the 05 was just as good as the newer ones. With the crf at least, they used the same plastics (apart from the number plates, just shorter...) and pretty much everything else. I factored in about 1000.00 usd to perform a rebuild in the winter and I now have a 05 with a total of 3.8 hours on a completely rebuilt engine. If it was me, I would look for an 2006 CRF and then drop in stainless valves and have a dead nuts reliable bike.

If you do have your heart set on getting a 450 motocrosser, do what I did. I tend to ride a bike for about a year or two (lately, it has been more like two years) and with my 450, I found an 05 CRF that ran great, low hours were verified and hauls the mail. I would like an 08-09, but for someone like me, the 05 was just as good as the newer ones. With the crf at least, they used the same plastics (apart from the number plates, just shorter...) and pretty much everything else. I factored in about 1000.00 usd to perform a rebuild in the winter and I now have a 05 with a total of 3.8 hours on a completely rebuilt engine. If it was me, I would look for an 2006 CRF and then drop in stainless valves and have a dead nuts reliable bike.

thanks for the advice, but I would suspect if something a little older would be tired in other parts of the bike rather than just the top and bottom ends... fork seals, linkage bearings, valves, also if someone is riding around on a tired bike which needs a top and bottom end rebuild, wouldnt this lead to other things on the bike breaking further down the track?