Kicker or Battery Upgrade??

Hi, all.

I flooded my bike recently and the battery died before I was able to get it started. Luckily I was at home, so no big deal.

Now, I do fall over often (stupid short legs!!) while in the bush, and flooding is a possibility.

What is the best way to go:

a) kick starter

? Upgraded battery?

I have already done the free power mod, and I have only had that issue once, but I like the idea of the kick (since it will always work). Mind you, if the battery upgrade does the trick, I will be just as happy. I just don't want to be stranded.

I have done a search on this forum, and I am seeing pros and cons of both, but not a true comparison of the two methods.

Thanks.

I did both in a sense. First I added the ultralight turntech 2.5ah less than a pound. Then I installed the kicker. My thoughts are it doesnt matter how good your battery is it will never be as reliable as the kicker. The bike is pretty easy to kick if your jetted right and I'm running a 435 with 12-1 compression.

I have also done both. I dont want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Piece of mind for me plus I just like to use th kicker every once in a while. I like to ride wilderness areas and like said even a good batery will fail eventually.

It almost killed me (jk) to shed $225 for so preciuos few parts but the charley horse I got the last time I had to push start my Z cause my battery was dead finaly decided it for me. It doesn't matter how good your battery is if you run it down. I'm down to about $25 per needed use on my kick starter. The more times I screw up and leave my bike on, the cheaper it becomes per use.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. Unless something is really wrong, the kick is going to work. I am out in the middle of nowhere quite often, so I guess it is the best option.

I like the look of those turntech batteries. I might consider that after I get the kicker.

Thanks for the replies.

It almost killed me (jk) to shed $225 for so preciuos few parts but the charley horse I got the last time I had to push start my Z cause my battery was dead finaly decided it for me. It doesn't matter how good your battery is if you run it down. I'm down to about $25 per needed use on my kick starter. The more times I screw up and leave my bike on, the cheaper it becomes per use.

Ha! My kicker is still at the $200/kick ratio. I've had it for 2, maybe even 3 years now and have never needed it. But, I would NOT take it off, and if I didn't have it I'd be saving up $ for one. I ride in mountains and no way would I want to run the battery down on those trails. Besides, I can't bump start it with my Rekluse.

I'm seriously thinking about the smaller TurnTech when I need to add a new battery since I do have the kicker.

Ha! My kicker is still at the $200/kick ratio. I've had it for 2, maybe even 3 years now and have never needed it. But, I would NOT take it off, and if I didn't have it I'd be saving up $ for one. I ride in mountains and no way would I want to run the battery down on those trails. Besides, I can't bump start it with my Rekluse.

I'm seriously thinking about the smaller TurnTech when I need to add a new battery since I do have the kicker

Just installed the 5ah.... so far very impressed on how fast it spins the bike over.... and the 5ah is about 60% the size of the OEM and feels way lighter.