Questions about GoPro HD 960

Hey guys, I will be picking up one of these very soon and I need some advice first. First is the memory card.......

How long will the a 4GB card last at the 720 setting? How long will the 16GB last at 720? Which speed is best to get for the best video?

Now, with the mount....

Two people will be using this and I'm wondering what people think is the best mount option. I want to do the handlebar mount but seen mixed reviews about the extension arm breaking. I'm also thinking about the chest mount option...Has any tried both, what's best?

I've seen a ton of videos, some are awesome but some are horrible, just wondering what everyone's opinion is?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have a 16g card in mine and at 30fps you get about 4 bours of video. i personally wouldnt get a card smaller than 16g because you will end up running out of sorage pretty quick.

and as for the mounting locations, i have never tried the handlebar mount so i cant really help too much there. but the chest mount is nice, i like the angle it give you. i also use a sticky mount on the side of my helmet. i end up using the helmet mount the most just because its easy. i gave a mounting clip to one of my friends so he can wear the camera too, so it works out nice.

I have the 960 and the 4gig card didn't last long at all. Upgraded to a 16gb and it will last a track practice now!

As for mounts, mount it on your helmet. It would be too shaky on anything else. All those go-pro professional videos are ran through final cut with the shaky filter, and at the 60fps 1080 offered in the go pro 1080.

Here is a sample @ 720 30fps. On a cloudy day, to get the true HD colour effect. You need a nice sunny day

Awesome, just picked up the 960 and Chest Strap from RM and bought a 16gb card from Amazon...Was gonna buy a used one but I seen a used one go for 217.00 after shipping on ebay last night. That's just nuts, my original price was 204.99, minus 10.00 for a coupon I had and I ended up paying 194.99 new!! Can't way to strap it on!!!

Awesome, just picked up the 960 and Chest Strap from RM and bought a 16gb card from Amazon...Was gonna buy a used one but I seen a used one go for 217.00 after shipping on ebay last night. That's just nuts, my original price was 204.99, minus 10.00 for a coupon I had and I ended up paying 194.99 new!! Can't way to strap it on!!!

Nice, I got mine through the gopro website for just a hair cheaper (maybe 5$ after shipping). I got the 16gb card at future shop for $30. And two bags of sticky mounts. Which is all you need for your chest protector is a sticky mount. But experiment, that's the fun part. I find watching the go pro videos that weren't mounted on the helmet make me sick to watch. Unless they were ran through the final cut shaky filter.

Mine was 204 because I bought the chest strap to go with it. I'm not sure I'm gonna keep it. I seen the value on all this holds up pretty well so I'll play with it and if I don't like it, then I'll start strapping it to my head. How often do you have to replace the sticky mounts on the helmet?

As for cards. I would go straight for a 16GB. iv used many different cards and I now use Lexar Platinum II 16GB Class 6 cards. They work Great and never run out of room even when recording in 1080.

As for Mounts..GET THE CHEST MOUNT. Its the absolute best. Here is one of my recent videos so you can see the angle it gives. And also anyone can wear it. Unlike the stickys that are permanent to what ever you stick them too.

And before you get the 960 think about getting the 1080 for the extra money.

With the 1080 you can get an LCD screen that fits on the back, and an extra battery pack. It also has better slow motion resolutions if you ever wanna slow footage down when editing a video. I own both and i like my 1080p hero waaay better than the 960. I ordered the LCD screen and I'm picking it up tomorrow, stoked!

*bump*

Hate to bump this but I'm wondering....How often do you have to replace the sticky mounts on the helmet?

I've never had to replace one unless I was replacing the helmet.

I'm not a big fan of the chest mount. Too much bars and bar pad in the shot rather than the terrain. To each his own.?

Valid point, I'm just really impressed with it after using the helmet mounts all the time.. it seemed every time i recorded footage it all looked the same and got boring to me. I have the bar mount too, but haven't used it yet. Might try it next time i go out.

I think a video with a mix, Helmet, chest, and bar mount would be the best way to go ?

I've never had to replace one unless I was replacing the helmet.

Thanks for answering that....

I ordered the chest mount with it and after looking at a bunch of vids on it last night I'm not so sure I'm gonna keep it. I really really want the bar mount but most review I've read say you have to rely on the arm extensions to much and they're not very strong so I'm not going that route.

Thanks for answering that....

I ordered the chest mount with it and after looking at a bunch of vids on it last night I'm not so sure I'm gonna keep it. I really really want the bar mount but most review I've read say you have to rely on the arm extensions to much and they're not very strong so I'm not going that route.

From My experience with all the mounts.. Top of the helmet is fine..and if you wipe out your probably not gonna damage it unless you land on the top f your head lol. Side of the helmet gives a better view..but if you happen to wipe and land on it..there goes your mount in the garbage and possibly the camera case. The chest mount isnt the best if your gonna be standing up the whole video..but when mounted at the right angle it gives a really cool view showing exactly what the rider and bike are doing. I havent used my bar mount yet but im thinking it will hold up fine as long as you dont have like 10 extentions on it..then it will just snap lol.

MY opinion for best all around view for the gopro is :

1: Chest Mount

2: Side of Helmet

3: top of helmet

4: bar mount