New caretaker of a 96 WR250

Spent the last 25 years on the street and the track. Time to slow down and kill myself on the dirt (that much closer for a burial!).

Bike wouldn't idle, cracked tank at the neck. Other than that it checked out very well. Crank case held pressure and vacuum without leak-down. Top end compression was high (150 psi) and thought that it should have been 110 +/-, no leak down so I think its been bored 1 or 2 times. Looking through the exhaust, the piston, rings and wall were all in great shape and the head looked clean as well.. Once I cleaned the pilot, she purs like a aggravated cat.

So , what is the deal with no Clark or other aftermarket tanks? Read about the YZ seat and tank swap, but I like to keep it "stock" plus I am 6'3" and actually like the riding geometry.

So what should i be weary of on this bike? Plan on keeping it for a long time, riding in the Florida brush so I think this bike is ideal. Haven't yet looked at the flywheel, but from the rides I have taken I think it may be stock. Hard to tell as I think it has been bored 1 or 2 times.

Anybody have any tips on the legs and springs? How well do they hold up? How often are you all swapping the oil? Any suggestions on after market springs (Racetec, etc.).

Sorry for all of the questions, will continue to read through the searching I am doing.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Edited by the feast

I have a '96 WR250 also. Great bikes and they last forever.

Unfortunately, they were not nearly as popular as the YZs of that era, so there are not a lot of aftermarket body panels or tanks available for them. I believe that you can still get new plastics through Yamaha for them, but you will pay some big bucks for a tank. You may be able to make a oversize Clark tank for a '96 YZ fit, but I don't know what all would be required.

There really isn't anything to be worried about on these bikes. There are not a lot of problem areas. Where you will have trouble is finding cosmetic pieces (graphics, body panels, etc).

The stock stator has a lighting coil (35W I believe) but they didn't come with lights from the factory. Adapting an aftermarket headlight should be pretty easy.

The suspension was a lot softer than the YZs, but I really like mine that way. It is sorta like riding my Lazyboy on the trail. I completely rebuilt my forks the winter that I bought the bike. My rear shock has never been serviced that I can tell, and it is still going fine. A complete bearing service is on the list for this winter.

Mine has plenty of low end grunt and first gear is so low that I can putt down a trail with it just off idle without fear of it stalling out.

Good luck on finding a tank for it, eBay may come to the rescue for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

the only tank thats available is a ims yz tank from 1993-1995 are the only ones that work but you have too geta yz seat from 93-95 also ufo still has plastics available not much from acerbis my thought is keep it stock except for the suspension have it rebuilt by any company i had mine done at proaction it made ait a whole new bike, im doin a long rod kit tuesday but other than that it rips, but it is an old factory off road bike, theres a huge differance over my 94 and other 96 wr 250s iv had this one lays the w.w.f. smack down on my previous wr 250's, i do have a stock pipe on it and it runs great. stock flywheel,069.jpg

the only tank thats available is a ims yz tank from 1993-1995 are the only ones that work but you have too geta yz seat from 93-95 also ufo still has plastics available not much from acerbis my thought is keep it stock except for the suspension have it rebuilt by any company i had mine done at proaction it made ait a whole new bike, im doin a long rod kit tuesday but other than that it rips, but it is an old factory off road bike, theres a huge differance over my 94 and other 96 wr 250s iv had this one lays the w.w.f. smack down on my previous wr 250's, i do have a stock pipe on it and it runs great. stock flywheel,069.jpg

Where did you get the graphics? I haven't been able to locate any that fit and those look like OEM.

not wanting to go with the YZ seat and tank combo, I opted for a new tank straight from Japan. Only took 7 days and it turned out to be cheaper that a Clark tank and a YZ seat.

Edited by the feast

let me know if youd like me too get you some prices on the oem graphics for that, just installed the long today and tore the water pump gasket and i dont have a spare as soon as i get a new one ill give a ride update

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I have the bike sorted out except for an occasional high idle. Thinking it maybe a float/needle seat issue. But I thought I would ask before I go in and make things worse.

Air screw is right at 1.5 turns.

Idle is 1.5 turns, anything more and it is a bit hard to start. Cleaned out the carb last week, found the jet a bit clogged, cleaned it out and all was well. Unitl the high idle....

Maybe I am picky. but I want it to idle properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice lookin bike!

Does your offer for factory graphics extend to others and this late from posting? ?

I have a 96 WR250Z and would like to put some graphics on it. I'm thinkin of doin the YZ seat and tank mod, but haven't found what I was lookin for, yet.

Thanks!

Pyro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I also got a wr250 a few weeks ago. I would love to get my hands on those stickers. Can't seem to find them anywhere.

Also was wondering if the same year yz250 had the same throttle cable? I broke mine in a crash a few days ago and am having a hard time finding the model specific cable