Sign in to follow this  

wheel slop - hub or spokes?

I have some side to side play in the rear wheel. Do i need to snug up the spokes or is this an issue with hub or bearings?

I had the same problem and it was the spokes. You can can just feel the spokes to see if they are loose.

Mike

Have you ever checked the spokes? Hondas are notorious for loose spokes when they are new. Wheels need to be broken in just like motors. As the wheels "take a set" the spokes will come loose. Usually they will require about two or three sessions of P.M. before they settle down. I check mine occasionally now and find a few that need a 1/4 turn or less.

That's why they give you a spoke wrench when you buy a new bike!

Have you ever checked the spokes? Hondas are notorious for loose spokes when they are new. Wheels need to be broken in just like motors. As the wheels "take a set" the spokes will come loose. Usually they will require about two or three sessions of P.M. before they settle down. I check mine occasionally now and find a few that need a 1/4 turn or less.

That's why they give you a spoke wrench when you buy a new bike!

If your spokes arn't loose, check the wheel bearings.

1. Check/tighten spokes. Those things practically need to be tightened every ride. 2. Check wheel bearings. Take the wheel off then pass the axle through it and wobble it around. 3. The stock wheel spacers are crappy too (aluminum). They eventually wear out and can also contribute to a little wobble in the rear wheel. If they have a deep groove in them from the seals replace them with the Moose Racing ones. They have a steel sleeve that lasts longer than the aluminum.