125 vs 250 vs 250f

Hello all this is my first post been lurking around looking for similar posts for some time now trying to get some answers..

little background i am 24 y/o 6'2'' 200 lbs i am currently looking for a new bike want to buy new because i dont like costly repairs. i used to ride alot when i was younger from age 11 to age 15 i had a kx 80 bigwheel that i loved but i sold it when i turned 16 to get a car.

i have always loved 2 strokes but lately some of my friends think 4 strokes are the way to go i like everything about them like power delivery and what not but i am hugely turned off by the stories of pricey maintenance.

i wanted a ktm 150 sx but cant find one anywhere, so i am trying to decide between a yz125 or yz250 2 strokes or a yz250f I plan to ride about 50% track (mx style) and about 50% trails/desert/mountains i live at 6700 ft elevation. worried the 125 might not be enough off the track and the 250 might be too much on the track.. the 250f sounds really good on paper for both but i just am worried about repairs. any suggestions would be helpful sorry about length of post but it helps to be specific.

.... while a 125/150 is great fun, you will be greatly disappointed once you ride someone else's 250f or 250 2 stroke.... I really like my 250f, really like it... but, if I was in your shoes, a 250 2 stroke is the only option I would consider. Supreme all around bike. Good luck.

Hi, Welcome to TT, I have been riding a 250f (yamaha) for the past 8 years now. Nothing wrong with any of the choices. As for the maintenance, I may be a lucky one, but I have had no major costs issues with my bike (blowups, etc). I think the key to it is taking care of your stuff (change oil & air filter meticulously).

Go out and try some of your friends bikes, if you can, and decide for yourself! Thats the best way to get a feel for what you want. Generally, yes, a 2 stroke will cost less to rebuild, and if your planning on buying used, you must accept a certain amount of 'risk' of it being someone else's junk. Buy smart, Do your homework, and most of all, have fun! Buying a bike doesn't happen everyday, and it will be a great feeling!

Id say the 250 2t is the choice for you. easy maintenance, low rebuild costs, simple engines.

since you are 25 there is most likely an age class of 25+ for you allowing u to race any cc bike u want in that class if you decided to race.

The 250 2t also can be a great woods bike and easily set up for primarily either MX or Woods if u find u want it set up for one rather then the other more. Not to mention the 06+ YZs have great suspension and aluminum frames.

Ive done both routes (only with a 125) and I dont see myself faster on either a 250f or the 125/150, but i definitly have more fun on a 2t.

i love my 250f. And i had to do valve shimming when i bought mine, cost me a whole $15 and a hour or two to do myself. Extremely easy if you take your time. I'm 6'3" and 215, and my bike will scoot me around with quite a bit of pep. As long as you're semi handy with tools, and are good about regular maintenance, i think you'd be pleased with a 4 stroke.

get the yz250 or 250f. because you will want more power then a 125 after a while, and the 250 2t is perfect for deserts and trails, and the 125 isnt good at deserts because you will be revin the crap outta it, and the 125 is okk in trails but it has no bottom power. so the 125 is only good for Mx Tracks

trust me and get the YZ250 because its heaps good in Mx tracks, trails, deserts and hillcliming, while the 125 is only good at the tracks. the 250 will just take little bit of time getting using to, so just go easy on the throttle.

and try and find a yz250 that is 05 and up because thats when they got aluminium frame.

yz250 ?

Edited by daniel96

Thanks for the replies so far I found a good deal on a left over 2009 but still brand new ktm 250 sx two stroke so I will probably go that route I just hope its not too much bike for me since I Havnt rode in so long.. I don't want to get hurt but I also don't want to outgrow whateveri buy so keep comments rolling so I can get some more feedback please

Thanks for the replies so far I found a good deal on a left over 2009 but still brand new ktm 250 sx two stroke so I will probably go that route I just hope its not too much bike for me since I Havnt rode in so long.. I don't want to get hurt but I also don't want to outgrow whateveri buy so keep comments rolling so I can get some more feedback please

At your altitude it won't be too much bike at all. I have two Yamaha 250's but I'm a huge KTM fan as well. I'm 5'4" chick and have no problem man handling them. The altitude definitely kills power, make sure you bring them in to the shop and get them jetted correctly for your altitude. This is very important.

You will have so much fun on that thing! ? Glad you are keeping the two strokes alive! 2T ALL THE WAY!

I think the 2 stroke 250 will be the way to go too. I weigh 150lbs and wish my 250F had more power. Being at 6000 elevation and weight around 200lbs (more with gear) I think the 125 and 250F would be a bit under powered. I'd go with the 250 and just take it easy. Build your endurance and muscle memory before riding on the track.