Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - ENTER NOW! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Help needed picking a play bike to ride with my 14 yr old son

Help Please.

I bought my son a KLX140L (monster) last year. He mainly uses it to ride in the back yard and the occasional trip to the local trail (Rocky Glen, Rockford IL).

He's been buggin me to get a bike to ride with him since he doesn't have any buddies with bikes. SOOOO... I just sold my Vstar streetbike and I'm considering a bike to ride with him.

I'm 5'8" 175 pounds. I rode his KLX140L and it's not bad but might be a bit short for me? My son is about 5'6" and 132 pounds right now. I think the KXL is perfect for him.

I don't believe they make the KLX140L anymore anyway right? So I see that honda makes a TTR-230 and Suzuki/Honda the same. I was figuring I could maybe get a great deal on a new leftover '09, '10 TTR230?

Any other suggestions for me would be greatlly appreciated as well as pointing me to a dealer with a great deal on a TTR-230 :smirk:

TTR line is Yamaha. If I were you I would pass on the CR-f 230/TTR-230 and get yourself a used TTR250 or XR250. (XR being the optimal)

I'm sure the following advice will be similar.

Xr 250 good for a put Around bike The ttr230 is a akward bike in my opinion but they do has some cool options I guess

here are somebikes you can have a look at - ttr250, xr250, crf250x, wr250f

I can't seem to find a new XR250. Do they make them anymore and is that a Honda?

How could you find something you don't know????? NO they don' build them any longer

Thanks guys. I think I'll check out the Honda CRF230.

Sorry Fender Bender. I was googling trying to search for and find out what kind of bike the XR250 was.

I was hoping to spend around 2K and I believe the 230s cost around 3800 new?

Pick a bike that you can pass down to your son....when you move on to bigger and better. The CRF230F, TTR230 would be decent 'move up' bikes for your son and you can likely get a used 2008 for less than your $2K limit.

Venams...you may have plenty of activities you can do with your son....but I have a lifetime of memories of camping and trail riding with my Dad. We started when I was 12 and he was 37. He rode with me until about 3-4 years ago when he stopped riding at 70. We rode together in my teen years, when i was in college, early in my professional career and even when my kids were young. It was always something we could do together and even when he lived in another state he would make several trips per year where we could ride together. He also passed down his motorcycle to me every couple years as I was learning until I finally overtook him on riding ability and desire for more power.

I think it is a great that he wants to ride with you and that you are making the effort to ride with your son. It can be a great bonding experience and a shared interest when sometimes teens really don't want to have much to do with their parents.

I can't seem to find a new XR250. Do they make them anymore and is that a Honda?

nah honda stopped making the xr250s and they replaced it with the crf250x

Pick a bike that you can pass down to your son....when you move on to bigger and better. The CRF230F, TTR230 would be decent 'move up' bikes for your son and you can likely get a used 2008 for less than your $2K limit.

Venams...you may have plenty of activities you can do with your son....but I have a lifetime of memories of camping and trail riding with my Dad. We started when I was 12 and he was 37. He rode with me until about 3-4 years ago when he stopped riding at 70. We rode together in my teen years, when i was in college, early in my professional career and even when my kids were young. It was always something we could do together and even when he lived in another state he would make several trips per year where we could ride together. He also passed down his motorcycle to me every couple years as I was learning until I finally overtook him on riding ability and desire for more power.

I think it is a great that he wants to ride with you and that you are making the effort to ride with your son. It can be a great bonding experience and a shared interest when sometimes teens really don't want to have much to do with their parents.

I second that! My dad got me riding when I was 8, and we rode together when I was in my early teens. Once I started driving and being more social I went away from riding, and my dad sold both the bikes. Here I am 8 years later... buying a bike for myself. You better believe I'll drag him out and put him on the seat a couple times. Shouldn't take much to get him back on 2 wheels! :smirk:

Only a fool would pick up a 230. These are slow bikes built for even slower riders. Get something you both can move up on even ride each others bikes etc. Don't buy an underpowered machine.

also anyone advising a bike with bucket style valves, think about what he is asking...

$2000 is only a number and for what you are looking for could get 2 older trail oriented 4 strokes. Find bikes that you and your kid will be happy with. For tooling around on the trail you really couldn't beat XR/TTR 250. Even the older XT series from yamaha are winners. When asking around try and find something 250cc's and air cooled.

Only a fool would pick up a 230. These are slow bikes built for even slower riders. Get something you both can move up on even ride each others bikes etc. Don't buy an underpowered machine.

also anyone advising a bike with bucket style valves, think about what he is asking...

$2000 is only a number and for what you are looking for could get 2 older trail oriented 4 strokes. Find bikes that you and your kid will be happy with. For tooling around on the trail you really couldn't beat XR/TTR 250. Even the older XT series from yamaha are winners. When asking around try and find something 250cc's and air cooled.

:smirk::smirk:

You could pick up a used Kawi KLX300 or KDX200. I'll also second the XR250 and TTR250 as contenders as well. The e-start of the TTR250 makes it attractive. All three are durable, reliable, low maintenance, fun "play" bikes. No, none are perfect but I'd wager that any of these would be plenty of fun for the type of riding you described.

The TTR230s are slugs. I would get a KDX 200/220 or a TTR250.